< $200 Lens Recommendation

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for a 'walkaround' lens under 200 bucks. I have a Canon Rebel XT, a 18-55 stock, and a Sigma 70-200 2.8 (awesome). Basically, I need something with a bit better range than my 18-55.

Looking at the Canon 28-105, and the Sigma 28-70 2.8-4. The 2.8-4 sounds appealing since I take auto dirt track race photography at night.

Any ideas? I know someone who's selling the Canon 28-105 used (like new) for 130.

$200 isn't much...especially if you want to shoot things like racing, at night yet.

If you can get that 28-105 for a good price, it may give you the range you are after...but I still think you would be better off with your 18-55 & 70-200.

I might consider adding a nice fast prime lens like the 50mm F1.8 or 85mm F1.8.

I personally would go for older faster lenses used. In your price range, you will be better off than buying slower newer lenses.

My first EOS lens was a Tamron 35-105mm f2.8 Aspherical. I still have it and it is a good fast lens (unfortunately the lens that replaced it wasn't so well received). It is about 9 years old now (pricey back then) and should be had for under/at $200. The bad points... noisy motor. AF is not slow but not as fast as USM either... might be a bit difficult to find... I got mine with a matching 2x teleconverter and the set kept me happy for a really long time.

I'm sure there are similar options from Tokina and sigma as well. I'm also in the same boat that a 50mm f1.8 is a good choice to suppliment your "kit"

Here's what I'm going to do. Thanks for all your advice.

I'll go support the local photo shop, Lawrence Photo & Video, and buy the Canon 50mm 1.8 II Lens for 100 bucks. Then, I know somebody who's selling their Canon 28-105 3.5-4.5 II USM lens like new for 130. So, for $230 I will end up with two excellent lenses!

Thanks again for your advice! :thumbup:

You can get the 50mm 1.8 cheaper!!! Around $60-70.

Anyway, I have both lenses. You will love them!

Cheapest reliable place i could find for a US lens was BH Photo Video. 79 bucks plus 5 shipping, so 84. For the extra 20 bucks, I'd rather go local. However, if you know of a place that's considerably cheaper......

Where do you think I should get one? I'm glad you like both your lenses, I think those will be great.

Good choice. I have the 50mm f/1.8 and use it all the time. I got it from B&H and its probably going to be the cheapest reliable source you are going to find.

Adorama has the Canon 50mm 1.8 for $74.95. Thats where I got mine. I have the Sigma 28-70 2.8-4 lens. It's a great lens but the 2.8 is only at 28mm.

check ebay... there are some really good deals there

Most reactions

New Topics

Back