<$200 Macro lense for nikon

pyropenguin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm purchasing a Nikon D50 body soon, and I already have a sigma 28(ithink)-200mm lense. I really like Macro photogaphy, and I'll have around $200 to spend on a lense after I buy the D50. What are some choices in my price range that will give me pretty good quality prints?

Also, I have an option to buy a Nikon D50 (refurb) with a Tamrom 28-80mm and a 70-300mm macro. Will tamron give me good quality? Would it be better to stick with my Sigma and buy a different macro lense?

Thankyou,
Kyle

Oh, I just found the Lens Babies... they look like they can have some pretty cool effects... They seem like they have a close focusing distance... Also, could they take normal straight macro shots too? I've only seen the tweaked ones. :)

Phoenix AF 100mm f/3.4 gets a decent review and can do 1:1

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/non-nikon_articles/phoenix/100f35-1.html

I picked up one of these lenses on a whim one day since it was so cheap. My first impression was how flimsy it felt. The focusing motor is very noisy but since macro tends to have such a shallow DOF I just switch it to manual focus.

I tend to be very careful with my stuff and this lens will not see a whole lot of use but when I want to do some extreme closeup stuff this is the lens I pull out for it. I have only had it for a few short months but have been impressed with what I have been able to accomplish with it.

For macro on a budget I would suggest taking a look at this lens. You may even be able to do this lens and a Lens Baby 1.0 on your budget if you really shop around.

How are Tamron lenses quality?

After looking at all the different low-end macros, I think I'm gonna go with those Tamron lenses and save up for something more high quality.

Like most lens makers, Tamron has some good ones and some bad ones. As with most everything else...you get what you pay for. Keep in mind that when most cheap lenses say "macro" then are not really macro (1:1) magnification.

Probably, the cheapest way to get good macro shots, is with extension tubes. They go between the lens and the camera and allow you to focus much closer to the subject. They have no glass in them, so they don't degrade image quality. So if you start with a good lens, you can get great macro shots.

Nikon makes some close up filters which do pretty well also, like the 5T and 6T.

On the D50 they work well with AF and they won't on my F4s.

LWW

Most reactions

Back