200mm f/2 Prime

Snpr9696

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello fellow members. Looking for a little help. I have a Nikon 200mm F/2 however I'm having an issue installing the lens foot. The supplied screws are not long enough to bite into the adapter ring. There is no way these acres can be trusted to secure a 6lb $5600 lens. Does anybody have this lens that they can show me a picture of the proper screws or even tell me what screws to buy. ?
Waiting for Nikon to give me a call back.

Pics below are using the Kirk Plate but the OEM is even worse as it's thicker.

f2dd8b5e86d51be17ff06d30d41a0060.jpg
2a907eb73b7b45fe0ec5ca199737ee29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't tell you what screw to use, only the easy way to find out.
Go to your local hardware store and find where the machine screws are. Take your screw and find a nut that matches. The nut will give you size and thread pitch. Then just get a new screw that is of appropriate length.

The hex cap screws are metric: M3-0.5 (diameter - pitch) stainless steel, and I would definitely want something a bit longer than what you have. At the same time you want to be sure the bolt is not too long.

There are some of rules of thumb you could use to arrive at the thread length required for your screws. One recommendation is to have a minimum of one diameter of the screw as the thread engagement into the collar. Your screws are 3mm diameter so you want 3mm of thread going into the collar (preferably that should be around 75% of the way in). If you don't have enough thread then you risk stripping the threads inside the lens; it is preferable that the screws would fail before stripping of threads. It looks like you have about 1mm sicking out of your plate so you need four screws that are 2mm longer than what you have.

I would use a drop of Loctite 243 threadlocker on each screw.

The hex cap screws are metric: M3-0.5 (diameter - pitch) stainless steel, and I would definitely want something a bit longer than what you have. At the same time you want to be sure the bolt is not too long.

There are some of rules of thumb you could use to arrive at the thread length required for your screws. One recommendation is to have a minimum of one diameter of the screw as the thread engagement into the collar. Your screws are 3mm diameter so you want 3mm of thread going into the collar (preferably that should be around 75% of the way in). If you don't have enough thread then you risk stripping the threads inside the lens; it is preferable that the screws would fail before stripping of threads. It looks like you have about 1mm sicking out of your plate so you need four screws that are 2mm longer than what you have.

I would use a drop of Loctite 243 threadlocker on each screw.

Thank you for all your help I actually did exactly what you said before reading this. I found exactly what I needed at Home Depot. I really appreciate the response and hopefully this may help others in the future because I had a hard time finding info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back