200mm f/4D Micro-Nikkor and the x2 TC?

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jawns.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So wondered if any knows if the 200mm f/4D micro can fit onto the x2 TC?

I know the AF won't work but will it fit? I think the elements might be in the wrong place.

It is NOT on the official Nikon USA website list as being compatible with the TC-20e-III 2x tele-converter. A search on Nikon's archive for the 200/4-D has a user stating that the older TC-0200 and TC-201 WILL WORK, which is what I expected.

Nikon | Imaging Products | AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III

A cross-check with the official Nikon Europe website's TC Compatibility chart shows the dreaded big, thick X, meaning NOT COMPATIBLE, for the 200mm f/4 AF-D Micro-Nikkor with the 1.4x,1.7x,and 2.0x current AF converters....sad trombone sound....wahhh,wahhhh,wahhhhhhh....

http://www.nikonsupport.eu/europe/Manuals/DrdIaQvRZv/TC_converter_compatibility-EN_01.pdf

If its just for macro work (400mm macro would give some great creamy background blurring!) you can always fit an extension tube between teleconverter and the lens.

Otherwise you might have luck with Kenko, they've a pro series 2*TC which has a much smaller protruding front element than most own brand ones and the optics in it are very good (I think Gary using a 2*TC Kenko)

Cheers for that Derrel, had a look at those but thought I would ask anyway!

(400mm macro would give some great creamy background blurring!)

You would indeed!

Off to Madagascar in July and was looking for a macro lens, I'm going to pick up a 105mm f/2.8 and stick a 2x TC on it.

But but Sigma 150mm macro OS!!!!
Or heck the new 180mm OS might even by out by July of which both work with sigma 2*TCs

Sounds like its high time to correct that oversight then ;)

You'll weaken - one day you'll join the sigma crowed
Then its only a matter of time before you come to the best side and shoot canon

Most reactions

Back