2011.10.28 - Tulsa Oilers v Wichita Thunder

Very nice n crisp. Did you strobe? Were there cut outs?

No cutouts. I shot through the glass on some of these. Others were shot from a place between the two benches that doesn't have glass in front of it.
No strobes used.

I'm guessing that it wasn't strobes or using a cut out, looks like it was a well lit arena though. Just wondering why you shot so many of the players as horizontals and not skate to helmet. I find it an unusual crop.

Well that completely answers my question.
I didn't mean to be so short, but had to because I was responding via smartphone (which means my fingers can't always be as smart as I want).

I just meant to say that I've looked at a lot of sports shots in magazines and there are a variety of styles used, depending upon what the shots are going to be used for. And anymore, even full body shots aren't used in the player cards like they used to. Many times it's just a waist-up shot.
I've shot so much hockey and so many sports, that I figure that in general, most people have viewed these sports numerous times and have seen what goes on. So what I try to do is capture something that the people in the stands don't usually get, which is close up details.
However, I also try to mix up the shots, so I have some shots that are wider views of the action, and some that are close. it just depends upon where I'm shooting from at the time, and what my mood is.

I understand what you're saying, I shot pro football cards for 25 years and the style has changed, hockey as well, but even with that they still have to be vertical for the cards. The shift to more horizontal is a result of the internet and wide screen, I get alot of requests for horizontal shots that just don't work as horizontals, so now I do shoot more that way, but loose so there is moe to work with. For me, I still prefer shooting the vertical sports as vertical, which can be just a waist up tight shot. I just find the empty space on the sides take away from the subject.

Nice crisp hockey shots.

I think it's a little bit funny that there is a team in Tulsa named the Oilers...and the farm team for the NHL Edmonton Oilers in close by in OKC.

I understand what you're saying, I shot pro football cards for 25 years and the style has changed, hockey as well, but even with that they still have to be vertical for the cards. The shift to more horizontal is a result of the internet and wide screen, I get alot of requests for horizontal shots that just don't work as horizontals, so now I do shoot more that way, but loose so there is moe to work with. For me, I still prefer shooting the vertical sports as vertical, which can be just a waist up tight shot. I just find the empty space on the sides take away from the subject.
I think I'll make a point to do more verticals, just to add to the mix.

Nice crisp hockey shots.

I think it's a little bit funny that there is a team in Tulsa named the Oilers...and the farm team for the NHL Edmonton Oilers in close by in OKC.

We've had an Oiler hockey team here in Tulsa since 1928. I think most people here would revolt if we gave the name up.

That's pretty cool. I never would have though that hockey has been around, down there, for so long.

Most reactions

Back