2018 v 2019 ("The Past Through to Tomorrow")

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Every year things change, but I think the end of 2018 saw a real "bookmark" year with Sony taking the lead in full-frame changeable lens cameras, and then Nikon and Canon selling their first full frame mirror-less cameras. There was a lot more to the story than just that. I think the real trigger was the fact that the Sony A9 proved to be a viable "sports photography" camera. At that point the last serious limits of mirror-less had been addressed. But for all that, pictures don't look much different. What do you see in the future?

One rumour that has been floating for a while is that Sony will come out with an APS-C body called the a7000 which will use the a9 frame. I have a bad feeling that this might happen. It is a mistake. A new APS-C body should be a new design, based on the ideas from the a6500, but with a fresh start. Sony needs to take what they have learned a make corrections. None of their bodies have been considered well designed from weather sealing or from physical controls and layouts. The two go together. You need to design the controls and pieces with an eye to where the joints and seals are going to go. And yes, I feel it should be smaller than a full frame camera. I would also aim an APS-C body more at video than still and keep the Full Frame bodies aimed more at still.

If you start with an a9 body, you will just end up with an a7iii with an APS-C sensor. That is also a problem. You will not end up with a substantially cheaper camera than an A7iii. In the "old days" the full frame camera sensor would cost significantly more, so you could design a more expensive camera around it. With the quantities of the A7iii, that cost is probably dropping rapidly. This is probably a part of why the A7iii price dropped soon after its introduction last year. If the costs are too close, and there are no functional differences (size, handling, capabilities), why buy the a7000 at all?

Of course, nobody ever listens to me anyway, so . . . .
:)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back