20D Doesn't impress me much

DocFrankenstein said:
I think you're supposed to use all AF points.

Neither of your current lenses are actually fast focusing. 18-55 and 50/1.8 are horrible and inaccurate. Sigma is better, but still years behind the L speed. It just doesn't have the snap that L glass has.

If you shoot canon and if you're serious, then 'L' glass is the only alternative

When shooting a moving subject, you have better luck using only 1 AF point. Example - Supercross... Unless all of the AF points are on the rider you are trying to shoot. With the camera set to all AF points, the camera will sometimes have a hard time deciding if you are shooting the rider, the stands or the crowds and be unable to set focus and you will miss shots. If you have the camera set to only 1, it knows exactly what your subject is. "L Glass" is nice but since I've shot many a horse race, jumping competition and Supercross successfully with Canon Cheapo kit lenses so, I know it's possible.

I love my 20D, but then I'm only shooting commercial :lol:

When I attend NASCAR races, I don't DARE take a digital. Just can't get the results- I always shoot film there.

MDowdey said:
you can send it to me, if you get tired of looking at it :)

no no no - send it to me :D I don't have DSLR so I can play a bit with it, and then, when you need it I'll send it back to you :D that sounds as a good deal :D

but seriously - sorry to hear that. Is that your firs digital slr?

thebeginning said:
buzzzzz. wrong.
Show me.

I don't have "L" glass--I just dream about it. A friend and I routinely compare stuff we shoot (often standing standing side-by-side while we shoot the same thing). She shoots "L" glass, I shoot kit lens. I envy her for the glass.

there are many non-L canon lenses that can perform as well if not better than some L's, as well as 3rd party lenses (sigma for one) that can perform as well as canons. that doesnt even include Zeiss, Leica, and other higher class lenses. also, a kit lens is certainly not a fair comparison to an L lens. even if L lenses tend to be at the top of Canon's lenses, that doesnt mean they are the 'only alternative'. here is one guy that has done some tests between canon L's and sigmas (check out the 17-40L vs. sigma 18-50 and the sigma 70-200 2.8 vs. canon's 70-200 2.8L IS) : http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/lenstests

I dont shoot sports or fast moving objects/subjects. I do have to say that I dont think the 20D is all that as many of the 20D owner praised to be. my film 1N is far better then the 20D. It amazed me how all of a sudden everyone have to get a "L" lense. I do believe having a great lense do make the picture much better.... i guess whatever makes the user happy.

I do own a 20D and I do use it whenever I can... mainly for work - when someone is paying to shoot digital. i rather shoot film any day... too bad my client just cannot afford me if I want to shoot film for their wedding....

I Can't believe no one has even suggested a Image Stabilizer Lens. I bought a 20D with the 17-85 IS lens. After using it with my uncles 18-55mm I was certainly impressed with the IS. I also used the 75-300 normal and had troubles with it, after using the IS 75-300 I was extremley impressed and went out and bought that. It works amazingly. I'd recommend it.

Ever hear of flash? If you dont mind having an almost pitch black background but a lit up biker then it should be ok, Ive shot 50 mph Trains and they look stationery.

if i could afford to shoot film, i would. definitely. i love it. unfortunately though, i cannot, and my patience would wear thin every once in a while :).

I have shot off a mono pod, used a flash, tried every lens I own, tried custom function 4-1, centre focus point only...and get between 25-35% keepers.

I have shot MX, auto racing and Sno-x trackside for 25+ years

Kind of annoying to have people ask for a picture and not be sure if you have one of them because your camera is a piece of trash.

100% certain I ended up with a dud, which is going back to where I bought it.

I just hope they give me another body as I have trackside access at the years biggest MX event.

If I have to.......the film and the Elan 7 come out of retirement.

Bosscat said:
If I had the money, I'd just by a Nikon.

Always felt they have had better glass.

good luck with that! :D

top of the line L series telephotos are much much better than nikons offerings, the 70-200f2.8 IS v2 and the 300 2.8 blow anything nikon can offer out of the water, so do canons bodies. nikon has got a good set of wide angles though.

my personal opinion is that the camera is fine.

maybe you are actually shooting more now than you were with film (like you were more careful when shooting film and now with the 20d you just pop off shots and hope for the best). and also, the 20d is definitely not a piece of trash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back