20d or medium format?

the 10D/20D can deliver a hell of a job. But the results
compared to film are quite different. The Canon digitals
record an image with much less noise than film at any
given ISO - therefore the images look much cleaner.
Detail for big enlargements is questionable and depends
on your quality standards.

otoh MF film can resolve much more detail if you use the
right scanner .

Either way you'll have to shell out a decent amount of
money to get better results... then you'll have to decide
which workflow you prefer...

completely digital
- The 20D gives you about 30% more pixels/effective
resolution over a 10D for $1,300
not much of an advantage in my book...

film/semi-digital
- a decent MF kit $600+ (and that is rock bottom)
- a dedicated film scanner (to get a real advantage of MF) $1,300

then think about processing and printing...

Tough call Tobes. I just got a 20d (Kelly got it for me...man that girl is nuts!), and it's a staggering piece of equipment. But since you've already got a 10d, I dunno if that 2MP increase would be worth the money. Since I came from a 300d, that's not only a big step up in MP, but also in features, so it was a good jump for us. We're going to keep the 300d as a backup, I think. Hmm. If you're happy with the quality from your 10d during everyday shooting, the MF might be the way to go to really broaden your horizons...

By the way, I really would like to emphasize that you could "get into" medium or large format film photography for less than $500. Later, if you decide that you like it, you can spend more moola. And then if you end up not using it, you don't have an $1800 doorstop.

High quality vintage TLR cameras have lenses that can compete with anything modern, and while they might not have as many whiz bang features as a modern medium format SLR, they have the basics, and it's enough for many types of photography.

The Mamiya TLRs (the only ones with interchangable lenses) are always highly recomended. I have a Rolleiflex with a Zeiss Planar lens that is a fantastic camera, possibly my favorite camera (the Schneider Xenotar is also a top-o-line lens). The Minolta Autocord has a cult of followers that claim it has one of the sharpest lenses ever.

The Rolleis with a Planar or Xenotar lens can be had for under $500, and the rest can be had for less than $300.

doxx said:
a decent MF kit $600+ (and that is rock bottom)

Check out the Norita 66; it was my first medium format SLR, and I just recently had it CLAed. It had a few different names before Norita (something like Writtenrack?), but it was made in Japan and marketed in the US as the Graflex Norita 66. I've always heard that this medium format SLR was designed by the same guy who built the Nikon F. But Nikon didn't want to go medium format, so the designer went elsewhere.

It's a 120/220 SLR with a similar build to a 35mm SLR; it's sort of like a smaller Pentax 6x7. It takes 12 6x6cm frames on a roll of 120. Manual focus, manual exposure, manual everything. It normally comes with an 80mm f/2 (<----f/2!!!!!!! for medium format!!!!) Noritar lens that is amazingly sharp. If I could get an adapter that would let me use this lens on my P67II or Hassy, I would!!

This camera used to go for under $300 on Ebay before digital started taking over. I haven't looked for a Norita in a long time, but for as cheap as Bronica SLR systems are going for, it seems to me you'd be able to get a Norita for dirt cheap. There is a moderate selection of lenses and accessories available: 40mm lens, 75mm leaf shutter lens, 150mm lens, 200mm lens, maybe more.

Also don't forget the Koni Omegas, very reasonable price and lenses that you can't go wrong with! A 90mm, a 60mm would be a good start and won't burn a hole in your pocket. The format is 6x7 and it has interchangeable backs (120 and 220).

I'd go with Matt's recommendations. The pricing on eBay is so homogenous that you should be able to grab a cheap MF camera to try out. If you decide you don't like it or want to upgrade, you could sell it again for close to what you paid for it. I love the Koni Omega Rapid. I've borrowed a friend of mine's and while the film advance is a little loud, it's a great camera.

Did anyone notice that Tamron discontinued the Bronica line this week? I can't believe that everything in photography is going all digital. It can't be good for the industry.

monvural said:
It can't be good for the industry.

Depends what industry. It sucks for the film manufacturers, but the gear manufacturers are dancing all the way to the bank.

Most reactions

Back