24-70 2.8 -Tamron Grey Market Warranty vs Nikon Used

personalt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking at 24-70 2.8.. I have seen some used Nikons for around $1300.

But the Tamron has also caught my eye. The tamron is $1200 (through end of year with rebate) or $850 grey market out of Hong Kong or $900 grey market out of Canada .

I had assumed I would have ship the lens back to HK or Canada for repair but I have seen discussions about Tamron having a 1 year international warranty. Anyone have any experience with Tamron warrenty service, either in US or overseas?

With the Nikon - is the warranty 1 year or 5 years? If I buy used but get the original bill of sale should I expect any problems if it needs service? I have seen pro's selling used lens that were just sent in for a service/tune-up. What does that cost? I am leaning more towards the used Nikon but was curious to what it costs to get lens serviced to keep them in top shape.

There's plenty used ones on amazon for less than $1000.

I assume you are talking about the tamron? What is interestong is at least two of the vendors selling used on amazon appear to be selling grey market. Maybe even new grey market.

Is it correct that if I bought used nikon I would likely be able to get warrenty service if I had the original receipt?

depends on the vendor you buy through amazon. it's worth calling to see if amazon warehouse counts. Those are typically returned items they can no longer actually sell as new.

I bought my Tamron 24-70 that way. Otherwise I bought my Tamron 70-200 used through B&H.

I don't think i'd ever buy grey market or directly from Asia; all those vendors on amazon has really degraded the site.

Is it correct that if I bought used nikon I would likely be able to get warrenty service if I had the original receipt?

Per the Nikon USA Warranty web site: "This warranty extends to the original consumer purchaser only and is not assignable or transferable" so no Nikon warranty for a used lens. The store you get it from may provide a warranty, and lenses that have been refurbished by Nikon will have a warranty.

I am looking at 24-70 2.8.. I have seen some used Nikons for around $1300.

But the Tamron has also caught my eye. The tamron is $1200 (through end of year with rebate) or $850 grey market out of Hong Kong or $900 grey market out of Canada .

I had assumed I would have ship the lens back to HK or Canada for repair but I have seen discussions about Tamron having a 1 year international warranty. Anyone have any experience with Tamron warrenty service, either in US or overseas?

With the Nikon - is the warranty 1 year or 5 years? If I buy used but get the original bill of sale should I expect any problems if it needs service? I have seen pro's selling used lens that were just sent in for a service/tune-up. What does that cost? I am leaning more towards the used Nikon but was curious to what it costs to get lens serviced to keep them in top shape.

NEW Nikon lenses come with a one-year warranty BUT if you register the purchase with Nikon they add an additional four years.

New US serial number Nikon lenses can have their warranty extended to 5 years by registering the lens with Nikon USA.
And if the original owner registered their lens to get the extra warranty time, Nikon would know that the original receipt you have does not qualify for warranty service because you are not the original owner.

Many professional photographers are members of Nikon Professional Service (NPS).

Such a hard question, both excellent lenses.
Remember though, if you buy a Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G for 1300$ in most likeliness you will be able to sell it for roughly same price, not so sure about the Tamron.
I can tell you I was in your shoes and I chose the Nikon version used.

Remember though, if you buy a Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G for 1300$ in most likeliness you will be able to sell it for roughly same price, not so sure about the Tamron.

I have been really lucky with my gear so far and have not had any that needed repairs but I figure once I buy my first $1000+ lens I figure my luck will run out. I agree with the idea that depreciation on already used Nikon lens might be next to nothing. Especially if Nikon raises the new price over time.

I have seen some Nikon 24-70s for sale that were recently sent in to Nikon for service. I guess basically a tune-up. Assuming you are not warranty eligible and the camera has not been dropped etc, is that an expensive service? I think that is something I might want to do for any that have not been recently serviced.

I have been really lucky with my gear so far and have not had any that needed repairs but I figure once I buy my first $1000+ lens I figure my luck will run out. I agree with the idea that depreciation on already used Nikon lens might be next to nothing. Especially if Nikon raises the new price over time.

I have seen some Nikon 24-70s for sale that were recently sent in to Nikon for service. I guess basically a tune-up. Assuming you are not warranty eligible and the camera has not been dropped etc, is that an expensive service? I think that is something I might want to do for any that have not been recently serviced.
Dont know what a fix at Nikon spa will cost, I assume it depend of the damage.
Best if you consider buying used is go through Craigslist or Kijiji so you can get your hands of the lens and try it so this way you minimize the risk of buying a lemon.
Bought few lens like that, got burned once but it was my fault, all the bells were ringing in my head but I wanted the old lens so bad I didn't listen, it was a 10 years old Sigma lens, still after a fix at Sigma (cost 130$) I sold it and only lost the fixing because I got for it what I pain for it.
Bought a long list of lenses used and except the old Sigma I was very happy with what I got!
I will not hesitate to buy another lens used again.

Most reactions

Back