24-70 & 70-200

bs0604

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
(1) I am planning to get both the 24-70 & 70-200 with my preordered D800. I assume both these lenses are considered "flagship" lenses from Nikon. So I find it curious the the latter comes with VRII and the former without VR. Is this because VR is important with the higher magnifications?

(2) In the 20 page technical bulletin I downladed from Nikon concerning the D800 they mention a VRtripod setting on some lenses. I wasn't aware of any Nikon lenses having this setting?

I have both of these (70-200 VRI), and they're superb lenses; you won't be sorry. Because of the short focal length of the 24-70, there is really no need for any sort of VR. In fact even on the 70-200, it's only really necessary in the most extreme circumstances. I'm not aware of a "tripod" setting for VR; as far as I know, VR lens on tripod = VR Off, however I've not looked into the updated technology of VRII.

P8 of the 20 page nikon technical bulletin for the D800 (available to download online) states "Vibration reduction should generally be turned off when the camera is on a tripod (exceptions can be made of the AF-S Nikkor 200 mm f/2GEDVRII and other lenses with a TRIPOD option". And they have a little schematic drawing off the lens with this switch. Anyone ever used the lens & option?

VR tripod setting can mean two things:

1) It's referring to regular VR which auto detects that its on a tripod and turns itself off. IS (canon side) has similar tech, though its not perfect. Longer exposures can fool the system and it might not always get its detection correct - further it slows your shooting as you've got to wait for the VR to spin up then spin down.
Generally speaking VR on tripod = turn it off

2) It's referring to the second VR mode (present on most lenses that have VR) which is for panning and counters vertical shake. This is of use when using a tripod/monopod and panning a shot left to right (or right to left).

Selecting the 'Tripod' option invokes a VR mode that only corrects for vibrations generated by camera mirror slap.

However, some advocate turning off VR anyway when the camera/lens is mounted on a tripod - Nikon VR explained

Last edited:
excellent link

i have a 24-70 and love it. i also have a 70-300 4.5-5.6. i have debated the 70-200, to match them together. i really like the idea of having a 2.8 in that zoom range. it seem like a lot of the time i use my 70-300. im using it wide open and its still not enough, and gets kinda soft.

now i just need to figure out if i would rather have a d700 or the 70-200

The 24-70 is great on the D90, but the focal length range will probably be more useful once I get my D800. I also have the 70-200, but haven't used it too much yet.

OP, I have both the lenses you mention and they are wonderful. You'll be saying the same soon too!

(1) I am planning to get both the 24-70 & 70-200 with my preordered D800. I assume both these lenses are considered "flagship" lenses from Nikon. So I find it curious the the latter comes with VRII and the former without VR. Is this because VR is important with the higher magnifications?

(2) In the 20 page technical bulletin I downladed from Nikon concerning the D800 they mention a VRtripod setting on some lenses. I wasn't aware of any Nikon lenses having this setting?

Vr isn't really needed on the 24-70 like was mentioned. I have both and have been very impressed with them, you won't be sorry.

the VR tripod setting I've only seen on a few lenses, and from my experience it's usually the physically HUGE lenses that I've seen have it (I don't know if that has anything to do with why its on those lenses, thats just an observation I've made about it), I think the 200-400 has it...personally I wouldn't worry too much about it, I usually turn VR off when using the tripod.

The debate of VR on short focal lengths is a highly strung one usually. Yes, it is true that VR is not as beneficial on shorter focal lengths and is not mandatory as it is on telephoto lenses nowadays. No doubting that one! But VR on any lens can be hugely beneficial regardless of focal length. The VR on my 18-55 VR simply astonishes me at times. I can get sharp images at CLOSE to long exposure times with the lens set to 50mm with the VR switched on. Thom Hogan agrees on this, he says he would pick the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS over the Nikon 17-55 2.8 simply due to the fact the Sigma has VR and the Nikkor does not.

I know Nikon are in a hole though with the 24-70 as this lens is huge already, it will only get bigger with VR. The 16-35 has VR, so VR is clearly still relevant on short focal lengths.

Personally, I would prefer a 16-35 F4 VR to match with the 70-200 F2.8 VR anyway. It gives you that extra wide angle if you need it, I would use a Sigma 50 1.4 to fill the gap in between. The 70-200 2.8 VR2 though is just one of those lenses, I would dream of owning. The 24-70 2.8 is just not as appealing and cost's about the same.

Last edited:
Either way, buy those two lenses and you'll love them.

VR on short focal lengths is also often intended for video use. It is great in certain still situations as Josh mentioned, but it's almost a necessity for video.

Most reactions

Back