24-70 Vs 24-105

Parptarf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wanba start off saying that I have a 24-70 f/2.8 that I love, but managed to break. Everything is still working, but the filter threads are broken. Zoom is making some nasty noises but works. Autofocus seems fine (dunno how that's gonna last)

My insurance covered it, so I can buy another used one. But I'm also thinking about that 24-120 f/4. It's got Vr, 50mm more on the telly side, and it's lighter.

What do you think? Get a 24-120 and keep my broken 24-70? Or get a new 24-70?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
24-120mm isnt as sharp or fast as the 24-70mm 2.8, I don't see any comparison between the two.
The 24-120mm has one main advantage and that's th extra reach, I would get me either a used 24-70mm or fix the one you have.

The 24-70 2.8 is a top of the line pro grade lens as you would know...going to the 24-120 f/4 would be a bit of a downgrade..but others have done it are quite happy. I've read reviews saying it was just as sharp or if not sharper than the 24-70 and other reviews saying it was total rubbish. I think the 24-120 f/4 is a hit or miss lens...I'm going to find out my self because I plan on purchasing one to replace my 24-85 VR because I think the extra reach, constant f/4, better VR and 9 bladed aperture outweighs the negatives of the lens.

The 24-70 is a superb lens, but I find it a bit heavy and big for what I want to do.

I would suggest checking on having your's fixed. But other than that, I would say get a new 24-70, because as the others have said, you would be going backwards and may not be happy with it.

Most reactions

Back