24-70 vs 28-70 worth $300?

RoRoCo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got a 28-70 f/2.8 recently for $740, but I may be having some buyers remorse. At first glance, it is in perfect condition optically, but I was wondering if a used 24-70 is worth the extra ~$300 in cash.

Any thoughts. Should I just keep the 28 and be dumb and happy?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Have you been out shooting with the lens yet?

I do not know the lens, but I would go out and shoot it first.

"L" lenses do keep their value though.:mrgreen:

Have you been out shooting with the lens yet?

I do not know the lens, but I would go out and shoot it first.

"L" lenses do keep their value though.:mrgreen:

I received the lens at work and have not left yet. The few tests I have done are of my office and off the T2i LCD the samples look fine. I don't have a card reader or miniUSB to pull the pics off to my computer.

All that matters is that the final shots taken with the lens is to your satisfaction. Ignore what else is out there ... ignore what everyone else is shooting with. Does it satisfy your expectations?

Also... "worth $$$" is a pretty open question as the sum might be pocket change to some or a significant drop in the bucket for others.

With that said.... There is a good comparison write up here:

24-70 review

All that matters is that the final shots taken with the lens is to your satisfaction. Ignore what else is out there ... ignore what everyone else is shooting with. Does it satisfy your expectations?

Also... "worth $$$" is a pretty open question as the sum might be pocket change to some or a significant drop in the bucket for others.

With that said.... There is a good comparison write up here:

24-70 review
I appreciate the words of sanity. Unfortunately, I am still very much an amateur and have not had a chance to play with the 24-70 version. I will shoot some pictures of my daughter and a few random items later, but I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience with both these lenses and - assuming they had good copies - they had a rough idea of the value difference.

As for the $$$, I am probably not in the market for a $1,000 lens right now, but a 700 dollars one that makes my kit more versatile is nice. That being said, I don't mind waiting for a good deal on a better lens.

Something else to consider is the body you are shooting. The vignetting at 28mm that was mentioned should not be an issue on your crop sensor body. As for image quality differences, I would shoot the lens you got and then decide if the image quality satisfies you. Only you can decide if the difference in cost is worth it to you. Either lens should last you for years of shooting.

Thanks guys... I decided to return the lens. While the quality of the optics looked great, I don't know if it offered me that much more flexibility over my 50mm f/1.4. The focal range is more than a few steps, but not that much more.

I think I will look at getting the 85mm f/1.8 and a wider prime. I just need to make up my mind on a 28mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2, or wait for the mythical 35mm f/1.8 that is rumored to come out.

Thanks again.

Thanks guys... I decided to return the lens. While the quality of the optics looked great, I don't know if it offered me that much more flexibility over my 50mm f/1.4. The focal range is more than a few steps, but not that much more.

I think I will look at getting the 85mm f/1.8 and a wider prime. I just need to make up my mind on a 28mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2, or wait for the mythical 35mm f/1.8 that is rumored to come out.

Thanks again.

Ah another prime shooter! When I shot Canon, the set of primes that spent the most time being used:

24 f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 135 f/2L, and the 300 f/4L.

I always found the 24-70L (as good as it is) a bit of a compromise. Neither as fast as a set of primes. A focal range too short for a walk-around general use. When i decided to adopt a different system, I ended up keeping the Canon the 24-105L w/ the 50mm f/1.4 as an ideal solution.

Thanks again.

Ah another prime shooter! When I shot Canon, the set of primes that spent the most time being used:

24 f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 135 f/2L, and the 300 f/4L.

I always found the 24-70L (as good as it is) a bit of a compromise. Neither as fast as a set of primes. A focal range too short for a walk-around general use.

pretty much explains why i'm going for the primes over the zooms.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back