24-70mm f/2.8 II USM

Juga

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I am asking for opinions, experiences, or suggestions regarding what lens I should start aiming toward. I shoot a lot of different things but mostly landscapes, my kids, and sometimes I shoot some events. What I am looking for is an 'all around' lens. After playing with each of the lens I currently have (50mm f/1.8 II, 18-55 kit, 55-250mm) and discovering what I like to shoot I think the 24-70mm focal range is what will work best for me. The 24-70mm f/2.8 excites me because of the f/2.8 throughout the focal range but is it really worth the 600-700 more than the 24-70 f/4? I would love to hear from people who have used both or just pure knowledge suggestion. Also are there cheaper alternates from Sigma or Tamron that perform just as well? Thanks in advance.

I found the Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD which is pretty much the same lens but does it perform as well?

I found the Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD which is pretty much the same lens but does it perform as well?

There are a few reviews about the Tamron lens regarding it's performance. The canon lens is better, but not by much(depending on the copy). You can find the tamron version
for around $850-950

Last edited:

There are a few reviews about the Tamron lens regarding it's performance. The canon lens is better, but not by much. You can find the tamron version
for around $850-950

I am thinking that I can achieve the same results that I am looking for and for far less money. Have you used a Tamron lens? Thanks!

There are a few reviews about the Tamron lens regarding it's performance. The canon lens is better, but not by much. You can find the tamron version
for around $850-950

I am thinking that I can achieve the same results that I am looking for and for far less money. Have you used a Tamron lens? Thanks!

I have not used the lens. But have a look:

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited by a moderator:
This last video shows how the difference in 3rd party lenses can be drastic.

Roger at lensrentals.com says the Canon 24-70 Mark II is the BEST-performing 24-70 they have EVER tested. Bar none. However...a slightly-lower-performing Nikon 24-70 handily beats any and all other 24-70 lenses in resolution when used on the 36-megapixel D800 or D800e...since overall performance in resolution is a mixture of the lens performance AND the performance of the recording medium (in this case, a 36-MP sensor in a Nikon vs a 22-MP sensor in a 5D-Mark III).

I dunno...24-70/2.8 lenses are BIG, and obnoxious....they really,really stand out in a crowd. ANd there are many,many primes that are smaller,lighter, and which perform better.

As Roger's article stated, the Tamron VC model, when used on the CANON (specifically on Canon!) is an excellent value proposition...it's 90% of the Canon's performance, at what...$600 to $700 less money????

Worth and value are tricky propositions; it's not just optical performance one needs to weigh. If ALL you need is "wide", a small prime W/A or two is smaller,lighter, and could save you maybe as much as almost one thousand dollars.

Investment value: the Canon will hold its value much better and longer than the Tamron will, of that the past 30 years' time has shown me and millions of others. Buuuut....the initial price of the Tamron is so,so much lower!!! Ah, choices, choices!

I've talked with just three 24-70-Mark II owners, and to a man, they have all complained about one thing...the filter size Canon forced on them; they hate it.

Roger at lensrentals.com says the Canon 24-70 Mark II is the BEST-performing 24-70 they have EVER tested. Bar none. However...a slightly-lower-performing Nikon 24-70 handily beats any and all other 24-70 lenses in resolution when used on the 36-megapixel D800 or D800e...since overall performance in resolution is a mixture of the lens performance AND the performance of the recording medium (in this case, a 36-MP sensor in a Nikon vs a 22-MP sensor in a 5D-Mark III).

I dunno...24-70/2.8 lenses are BIG, and obnoxious....they really,really stand out in a crowd. ANd there are many,many primes that are smaller,lighter, and which perform better.

As Roger's article stated, the Tamron VC model, when used on the CANON (specifically on Canon!) is an excellent value proposition...it's 90% of the Canon's performance, at what...$600 to $700 less money????

Worth and value are tricky propositions; it's not just optical performance one needs to weigh. If ALL you need is "wide", a small prime W/A or two is smaller,lighter, and could save you maybe as much as almost one thousand dollars.

Investment value: the Canon will hold its value much better and longer than the Tamron will, of that the past 30 years' time has shown me and millions of others. Buuuut....the initial price of the Tamron is so,so much lower!!! Ah, choices, choices!

I've talked with just three 24-70-Mark II owners, and to a man, they have all complained about one thing...the filter size Canon forced on them; they hate it.

Thanks for the input. I shoot with a Canon T4i, in case you missed it in my signature, but I am not just looking for a wide aperture. I have a 50mm f/1.8 II that was cheap and does really well when I need it. The reason I am looking at the 24-70 is because it seems to be a good range for what I am shooting and I won't have to do the constant changing that I am doing now. As far as weighing all options (price/value) I think I would lean more towards the Tamron but I am a sucker for having name brand. However the Tamron is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper at $1200 brand new vs $2100 of the Canon. The filter size is also different but that isn't a huge concern for me because I don't have a 24-70 now so...Either way I value your input. From what you and Ballistics showed me my mind is still in limbo. As you said...choices.

I used the Tamron 24-70 VC and Canon 24-70 II. I liked the Canon the most. Sharper at the corners. I had some bad luck with the Tamron. after three copies I had a good one. This also a reason I did chose for the Canon.

For my self the 82mm filter is not a problem. Because the 16-35 II also uses the same filter size. I use Lee filters on both lenses.

I see your a using a crop sized sensor. I would chose the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS. This is a create lens for crop sized censors with a create IQ. One of the main reasons I would chose this lens. its starts at 17mm. Last I used the 24-70 II on a 600D and I missed the mm under the 24. The 17-55 IS is create in combination with the 70-200 f/4 IS (or a f/2.8)

Best thing to do go to a shop and make some test shots and watch them at home. Or rent the lenses for a day.

I used the Tamron 24-70 VC and Canon 24-70 II. I liked the Canon the most. Sharper at the corners. I had some bad luck with the Tamron. after three copies I had a good one. This also a reason I did chose for the Canon.

For my self the 82mm filter is not a problem. Because the 16-35 II also uses the same filter size. I use Lee filters on both lenses.

I see your a using a crop sized sensor. I would chose the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS. This is a create lens for crop sized censors with a create IQ. One of the main reasons I would chose this lens. its starts at 17mm. Last I used the 24-70 II on a 600D and I missed the mm under the 24. The 17-55 IS is create in combination with the 70-200 f/4 IS (or a f/2.8)

Best thing to do go to a shop and make some test shots and watch them at home. Or rent the lenses for a day.

Thanks for the advice. I am shooting a wedding in may and have scheduled to rent the 24-70 f/2.8 II for the weekend. I have looked into the 17-55 because I have read great things about it but I am having trouble weighing it against the 24-70 because the 2.8 is throughout the focal length. Either way I think you are right that I am just going to have to rent and try until I find what I am looking for.

Thanks for the advice. I am shooting a wedding in may

I hope you're prepared.
Is one ever prepared? One of life's greatest questions is 'are you ready?' I have been reading, looking at others work, and making several lists. I am already very familiar with the area where the wedding is being held and will be meeting with the couple next weekend to discuss a shot list and ideas that they enjoy. I am going to be renting some extras besides the just the lens such as another body, speedlites, and have already bought 3 extra batteries. I will have a 16gb sd card in each and plan on taking my 1tb hard drive to do picture dumps when I get a chance. That is just the short list I have generated since being hired. Are you experienced at weddings? If you don't mind giving me some extra advice I would really appreciate it. Just PM me.

Have you ever shot a wedding ? Are you a solo shooter ? From what I read on here and you will probably catch hell for it if your doing a wedding by yourself with no prior experience.

Recently someone asked me to take some baby picture shots and they wanted to pay. I told them of my limitations and would not charge because I'm not confident in my quality of work.

Remeber, this is a very special day and you don't want to be the reason it gets messed up.

good luck to you

Juga, I sent you a PM.

Most reactions

Back