TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the title says im trying to decide between

AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED @ $1889.95
and
AF Zoom-Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF @ $744.95

apart from the price difference, is the picture quality that better with the 2.8 G ?

i am not a professional and only take pictures for hobby. Use a nikon D610 and only have 50mm F1.8 now.

1. don't buy new.
2. the 24-85 is still a decent lens.
3. I think the nikon 24-70 is an overpriced, oversized, non-stabilized, monstrosity.
4. I think you should consider the Tamron SP 24-70.

Hmm thanks for the suggestion :)

i have been looking around for that range lens used but they never show up haha.

so 24-70 is not as good lens as it seems to be i guess .

any other suggestions for range of 24-120mm with good quality pictures ?
I consider 50mm prime to be good quality is tamron better than 50 mm ?

1. don't buy new.
3. I think the nikon 24-70 is an overpriced, oversized, non-stabilized, monstrosity.

My 24-85 /2.8-4 is my goto lens in general for my d600. Great range. I bought mine used though for $250ish a few years ago.

It also has a macro mode.

btw, you listing has it as an "IF" lens or Internal Focus. It is NOT. The lens extends out for focusing.
The reason alot of the 2.8 IF lenses are so big is because they are internal focusing so the entire length of the lens has to be at maximum length for internal focusing and no focusing tube extrusion going out/in.

Check KEH.com for used if you aren't comfortable on ebay.

Hmm thanks for the suggestion :)

i have been looking around for that range lens used but they never show up haha.

so 24-70 is not as good lens as it seems to be i guess .

any other suggestions for range of 24-120mm with good quality pictures ?
I consider 50mm prime to be good quality is tamron better than 50 mm ?

1. don't buy new.

I am mostly a hobbyist myself, and simply cannot afford the high end Nikon lenses. Tamron's recent "SP" series lenses are really closing the gap with regards to image quality/performance when compared to the lenses from Nikon and Canon.

As beachrat mentioned above keep you eye on KEH.com. They are one of the largest used camera dealers in the country, and they stand by their stuff. I've bought a couple of things through them, and the service was excellent. They also provide a 6 month warranty on all used gear against defects. Also you get to try out whatever you buy for a couple weeks to see if it's exactly what you want, and if not they will take it back no questions asked.

Nice .. i follow your pictures often :)

so what other lens do you have ? and still prefer to shoot with 24-85 over the other ones you have ?

range is ofcourse amazing. what about the Quality of the picture ?

My 24-85 /2.8-4 is my goto lens in general for my d600. Great range. I bought mine used though for $250ish a few years ago.

It also has a macro mode.

btw, you listing has it as an "IF" lens or Internal Focus. It is NOT. The lens extends out for focusing.
The reason alot of the 2.8 IF lenses are so big is because they are internal focusing so the entire length of the lens has to be at maximum length for internal focusing and no focusing tube extrusion going out/in.

so 24-70 is not as good lens as it seems to be i guess.

I would restate this: the 24-70 is not as good lens as the price tag suggests, especially when compared to other lenses in the class.

There are plenty of options for 24-70/2.8 with NIkon, Tamron and Sigma. They're all too rich for my blood so I have the 24-85 and a 35-70/2.8 in that range.

check here ==> NIKON 24-85MM F/2.8-4 D IF ASPHERICAL MACRO AUTOFOCUS LENS {72} - KEH Camera

I am mostly a hobbyist myself, and simply cannot afford the high end Nikon lenses. Tamron's recent "SP" series lenses are really closing the gap with regards to image quality/performance when compared to the lenses from Nikon and Canon.

As beachrat mentioned above keep you eye on KEH.com. They are one of the largest used camera dealers in the country, and they stand by their stuff. I've bought a couple of things through them, and the service was excellent. They also provide a 6 month warranty on all used gear against defects. Also you get to try out whatever you buy for a couple weeks to see if it's exactly what you want, and if not they will take it back no questions asked.

Thanks for the link Astro, so they are all assumed to be in decent condition and keh is a trusty location ?

thanks Mr.Photo and Beachrat, i will take a look there.

My 3 primary zooms are
18-35 AF-D
24-85/2.8-4 AF-D (the lens we're talking about)
80-200/2.8 AF-D

it covers the range from 18 to 200 really well. The 24-85 goes with me with the UWA or the 80-200 just in case for more or less focal range. It's nice an compact (as it extends). It sometimes gets good and bad ratings on the internet.

I also have various other lenses - 35-70/2.8, 50/1.4, 50/1.8m 85/1.8, 300/4 all more specific for situations.
I think that's all I have. I'm pretty much done swapping out lenses for a while
unless I get a great deal on a 80-200/2.8 AF-S or 70-200/2.8 to upgrade my 80-200 D..

It doesn't have the "expensive" feel to it. The zoom is kinda smooth but not as silky as my 80-200.
basically, for the price, it's a nice zoom lens that fits in well with my other lenses.
And I think it's sharp just make sure your shutter speeds are equivalent for your shooting as it does not have VR.

I also have a stepup ring for it's 72mm to use my 77mm filters.

So for the price you pay it's a great lens. If you want better then the newer and higher cost 24-70s will fit the bill.

There are plenty of options for 24-70/2.8 with NIkon, Tamron and Sigma. They're all too rich for my blood so I have the 24-85 and a 35-70/2.8 in that range.

check here ==> NIKON 24-85MM F/2.8-4 D IF ASPHERICAL MACRO AUTOFOCUS LENS {72} - KEH Camera

Thanks for the link Astro, so they are all assumed to be in decent condition and keh is a trusty location ?

thanks Mr.Photo and Beachrat, i will take a look there.

KEH does a great job on their grading system.
A "LN-" is going to be very close to brand new at almost half the price which you'll probably be able get back if you decide to sell it.

I used to own the Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR, I sold it and moved to the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G
Got and sold it for 300$
The 24-85mm VR is an unappreciated lens, people dont know how good it is, very sharp, good range and very affordable when bought used.
But its a slow lens and thats something I couldnt handle.
In many cases I find even f2.8 is too slow, I would buy the 24-85mm just for that reason, if you can afford a 24-70mm 2.8 lens either the Tamron or Nikon then go for it.
Dont let people put you down away from the Nikon 24-70mm its a fabolous lens, it has its own character and it took me few weekns to learn to work with it but once I found the key to its heart its giving me results I was expecting and more.
I am not shy to use it as slow as 1/30 so the lack of VR is actually not a big deal for me, still the Tmaron is a good option so eith er one is good as I said.
Remember IQ is very important but fast glass is just as important, it gives you flexibility that the 24-85mm doesnt have and I think is well worth the extra cash.

As the title says im trying to decide between
AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED @ $1889.95
and
AF Zoom-Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF @ $744.95

apart from the price difference, is the picture quality that better with the 2.8 G ?
Yes. It is.

My impression is that the 24-85 AF-D, the f/2.8~4 model is an old, film-era lens with adequate optics on OLDER, low-megapixel d-slr cameras; that the 2003-era and now discontinued 24-85 AF-S f/3.3~4.5 that I own has significantly better optics; and that the NEWEST 24-85, the AF-S VR-G model, has the best optical performance of all three designs, and while it is a slow lens aperture-wise, as Thom Hogan points out, it is actually up to the task of MODERN, high-megapixel digital sensor capture...the 24-85 AF-S VR-G was in fact, "the kit zoom" NIkon paired with the D600 at its introduction.

The other issue....are you aware of what a 40-ounce class 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S or 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor handles and carries like on a smaller, lighter camera body? It's like a BRICK, taped to the long end of a pool cue.

The 24-70/2.8 AF-S is long, and heavy, and is a nose-dive special on a lightweight, half-height camera body: it was designed to ride on the front of a D2x or D3x, a nearly 3.5 pound body with a very low center of gravity.

Most reactions

Back