24-85mm f/2.8-4D or 24-70mm f/2.8G

my head is starting to spin haha

i was reading the exact same review as you mentioned.
Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4D AF Nikkor Test Review © 2004 KenRockwell.com

yea didnt think about the weight of body versus lens issue :(

back to block one it seems .......

My impression is that the 24-85 AF-D, the f/2.8~4 model is an old, film-era lens with adequate optics on OLDER, low-megapixel d-slr cameras; that the 2003-era and now discontinued 24-85 AF-S f/3.3~4.5 that I own has significantly better optics; and that the NEWEST 24-85, the AF-S VR-G model, has the best optical performance of all three designs, and while it is a slow lens aperture-wise, as Thom Hogan points out, it is actually up to the task of MODERN, high-megapixel digital sensor capture...the 24-85 AF-S VR-G was in fact, "the kit zoom" NIkon paired with the D600 at its introduction.

The other issue....are you aware of what a 40-ounce class 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S or 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor handles and carries like on a smaller, lighter camera body? It's like a BRICK, taped to the long end of a pool cue.

The 24-70/2.8 AF-S is long, and heavy, and is a nose-dive special on a lightweight, half-height camera body: it was designed to ride on the front of a D2x or D3x, a nearly 3.5 pound body with a very low center of gravity.

Well, as braineack said-do not buy new in this lens class!!! For example, $744 for an OLD, pre-digital 24-85mm AF-D lens? A screwdriver focusing lens? Wayyyyyyy overpriced on NOS, or new old stock, stock that dealers have been sitting on for years now...buy any lens in this class USED!

The Nikon 24-70/2.8 is like a brick
not the 24-85

the 24-85 isn't heavy but yes it is old as Derrel says. But it's still a "nice lens for the price" if you buy it used.
and the newer ones are sharper and cost more.

my head spun alot when I was changing lenses and stuff. I've just found that the 24-85 fit the scenario well. I've tried to replace it several times just to end up keeping it.
But if you have the money, get a 24-70 Nikon, Tamron, Sigma
or maybe the 24-85G version.

I used to be "G" adverse. But now I'm okay with it as I realize I don't have to have the aperture ring as the camera can control it all without issues and I don't use it.

It's kinda like the 85/1.4 AF-D .. it's not as sharp as the 85/1.4G but people prefer the AF-D for portraiture it seems.

I can't compare the two lenses but, I own the 24-70 2.8 nikkor lens. I absolutely love it. Since buying it I rarely remove it from my camera. I could have gone for one of the other options but, ultimately for me I wanted what is known to be the best. Additionally, I would say there is nothing wrong with the other lenses as has been pointed out by several other members here. For me I just wanted to know it wasn't a lens holding me back and that it was my own skills. :)

I'd get a UWA zoom, a 50mm and an 85mm f1.8 and a good pair of shoes.

All three of those are likely to weigh less than a 24-70mm f2.8. No matter how good the lens is it won't do you any good if you refuse to carry it.

Mike_E said:
No matter how good the lens is it won't do you any good if you refuse to carry it.

And that is part of the reason the 24-85mm AF-S VR-G was the kit zoom Nikon decided to pair with the D600 when they moved FX down to "entry level full-frame" territory... it weighs in at 16.4 ounces

Nikon | Imaging Products | AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR

The Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 AF-S weighs DOUBLE what the 24-85 AF-S VR-G weighs, and it's looooong! http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2164/AF-S-NIKKOR-24-70mm-f/2.8G-ED.html

The Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC is ALSO big and heavy...almost two pounds, at 29.1 ounces and it uses the ridiculous 82mm diameter filter size!

TAMRON | SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD [Model A007] Specifications

I have a Nikon 24-120, and it's a fantastic lens. It's what I use when I'm on holiday and don't want to cart all the gear, and it does a great job. I also have a Nikon 24-70 f2.8, and I tend to agree with @Braineack - it isn't as good as everyone would like to think it is.

and I tend to agree with @Braineack - it isn't as good as everyone would like to think it is.

I wasn't saying it itsn't good. It has qualities I like about it better than the Tamron. But it's not twice as good as the price tag suggests.

and I tend to agree with @Braineack - it isn't as good as everyone would like to think it is.

I wasn't saying it itsn't good. It has qualities I like about it better than the Tamron. But it's not twice as good as the price tag suggests.

This is why I went with the older 28-70mm 2.8 instead of the 24-70mm 2.8. It's a well built tank that still takes a decent photo but it's cheaper. At the time i bought mine, it was only $500 cheaper but you can find them around $700 now.

This is one reason I stuck with my 24-85 other than the low used price.
edit - I'm sure they didn't test all the lenses out there. I would assume the 28-70/2.8 would rank higher, which is one i've considered alot but can't afford at the moment.

On dxoMark it rank #3 on their list of "best standard zoom lens for nikon d600" above some higher priced competition, but significantly lower than the Nikon and Tamron 24-70/2.8s ==> Best lenses for Nikon D600 | Nikon Rumors

Best lenses for Nikon D600
By [NR] ADMIN | Published: MAY 17, 2013
After the best lenses for D800 series, DxOMark published several new articles covering the best lenses for the Nikon D600 DSLR camera:

Best standard zoom lenses for Nikon D600
The listed lens test scores were measured with a D600, but the results are still very close to the list of best lenses for the D800.

Read more on NikonRumors.com: Best lenses for Nikon D600 | Nikon Rumors

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the 35-70 2.8 and have rented the 24-70 2.8G. I don't think it's that big. With a lens hood on it looks big but honestly, it's not that big. Bigger than the tamron 28-75 for sure but I will say that the 24-70 is a nice lens. It's sharp and image quality is nice but it's best feature IMHO is its focusing speed and accuracy.

Braineack said:

Until 10 years down the road when you go to sell it...then the Nikkor is about three times as good as a third-party lens.

What you will find is this: after 10, to even 15 years, a Nikkor high-end zoom lens is worth almost exactly what you payed for it, a DECADE earlier, and you can sell it on the used market for what you payed for it originally, or even a bit more. This has been my experience since the early 1980's, and I expect this to hold for the forseeable future.

$1199 sunk into a new Tamron or Sigma today is worth HALF that money on resale in a few years' time. That is absolutely not true of Nikon high-end or Canon L-glass...

A $1699 70-200 VR I bought the week it came out a little over a decade ago...in Like New condition from KEH.com....$1602 today...

Braineack said:

Until 10 years down the road when you go to sell it...then the Nikkor is about three times as good as a third-party lens.

What you will find is this: after 10, to even 15 years, a Nikkor high-end zoom lens is worth almost exactly what you payed for it, a DECADE earlier, and you can sell it on the used market for what you payed for it originally, or even a bit more. This has been my experience since the early 1980's, and I expect this to hold for the forseeable future.

$1199 sunk into a new Tamron or Sigma today is worth HALF that money on resale in a few years' time. That is absolutely not true of Nikon high-end or Canon L-glass...

A $1699 70-200 VR I bought the week it came out a little over a decade ago...in Like New condition from KEH.com....$1602 today...

I bought my lenses to shoot nice pictures...doesn't bother me.

This is one reason I stuck with my 24-85 other than the low used price.
edit - I'm sure they didn't test all the lenses out there. I would assume the 28-70/2.8 would rank higher, which is one i've considered alot but can't afford at the moment.

On dxoMark it rank #3 on their list of "best standard zoom lens for nikon d600" above some higher priced competition, but significantly lower than the Nikon and Tamron 24-70/2.8s ==> Best lenses for Nikon D600 | Nikon Rumors

Best lenses for Nikon D600
By [NR] ADMIN | Published: MAY 17, 2013
After the best lenses for D800 series, DxOMark published several new articles covering the best lenses for the Nikon D600 DSLR camera:

Best standard zoom lenses for Nikon D600
The listed lens test scores were measured with a D600, but the results are still very close to the list of best lenses for the D800.

Read more on NikonRumors.com: Best lenses for Nikon D600 | Nikon Rumors

This list is rigged I say lol

Seriously, I would have thought the 28-70mm would have place better as well. I'm actually thinking about upgrading my walking around lens, maybe a 24-120mm F4.

Braineack said:

There is no arguing the resale value on Nikon for sure. This is one of the main reasons why I stick with Nikon.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back