$250 ticket for shooting on a tripod in NYC?

.. (not required) [size=+2]does not assert exclusive use city property...[/size]

Next part...

.... (not required) a hand-held device and [size=+2]not otherwise asserting exclusive use of city property[/size]

Last part..

... (required) or if the person filming [size=+2]asserts exclusive use of City property.... [/size]

Yawn ...

.. (not required) [SIZE=+2]does not assert exclusive use city property...[/SIZE]

Next part...

.... (not required) a hand-held device and [SIZE=+2]not otherwise asserting exclusive use of city property[/SIZE]

Last part..

... (required) or if the person filming [SIZE=+2]asserts exclusive use of City property.... [/SIZE]

Yawn ...

Do you know what this means? You are proving my point you know that right? The second one is your own personal ship sinker. A tripod is a hand held device.

section under examples... subsection "use of a tripod?"

[SIZE=+2]In general, permits are not required.. thats the portion you are fixated on. But the next sentences is what makes the difference. [/SIZE]It clearly states that permit is required if the result is less than eight feet of unobstructed sidewalk due to the asserted exclusive control over the portion of the sidewalk they occupy.

This means two things by my interpretation

-no distinction between commercial and individuals (individuals just use optional free permit req no liability insurance)
-the focus and intention is concern for the safety of the pededtrian traffic... identifying the use of tripods as a possible HAZARD.

Yawn

Your interpretation isn't a valuable defense. It's law, not philosophy. It is cut and dry. Whether you are using a tripod or not, you cannot legally leave less than 8 ft of sidewalk without a permit while filming. Case closed. The tripod isn't the determination, the use of space is.

There is no difference.

So its not a stupid law.. lol

No, because it's not a law at all. It's clear that it's not illegal to use a tripod without a permit. If it were, than that would be an idiotic law.

Last edited:
See page 3 post #38.... :er:

Hazard to pedestrian traffic = yes
Asserts Exclusive use of city property = yes

Sheesh... I've been saying that from the first responses.... nice circle you've made... and you said I had trouble with comprehension.

I can't answer because I'm on my way to erect a large tripod on a public sidewalk thereby asserting exclusive use of city property and I don't have a permit.

I am an Outlaw

See page 3 post #38.... :er:

Hazard to pedestrian traffic = yes
Asserts Exclusive use of city property = yes

Sheesh... I've been saying that from the first responses.... nice circle you've made... and you said I had trouble with comprehension.

Again with the hypocrisy. You talk about circles and then you come back to Asserting exclusive use of property. If you understood the definition of the bolded term, then you wouldn't argue about it. But since you don't, you continue to use it as your argument, therefore you are only providing ammunition for mine. This is where the argument should have stopped many posts ago. If you are asserting exclusive use of property then you need a permit. If you are doing it with out a tripod, you need a permit. If you are not doing it WITH a tripod, you do not need a permit. That's all there is to it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back