$250 ticket for shooting on a tripod in NYC?

There a many alleged "laws" that people think are true due to word of mouth when they are clearly mythical.

Yeh.. and you are the all knowing person to straighten everything out....

Never mind the fact that T R I P O D is actually mentioned specifically in the documents.

PS> I have yet to meet a single person that believed that "deadly force cannot be used if there is a way out".

But HEY...

I'm a Texan and I get asked if I wear cowboy boots, hat, and ride a horse to work...

Well here's some entertainment for you then.

Here's an example of this myth in action

Taken from If someone breaks into your home are you allowed to kill them or badly injure them? - Yahoo! Answers

You're not "allowed" to kill them but if you're in a situation where there isn't escape or the like, and you kill or injure somebody, the authorities will usually look at it as being justified as self defense.

Years ago I was told by my friends that worked in different areas of the legal system that if that scenario came up, you shoot to kill. apparently if you only maim them, they can turn around and sue you.

Only in california or texas. In some states though you can't even throw something at them because they can sue you for assault.

Depends on the State. Some will allow the use of deadly force on an intruder, others require you to run.

If they pose a serious threat to you or your loved ones then yes but, if they are trying to get out or leave in any way (say you told them you called the cops) then no you can't without having some sort of legal thing backfiring on you. Sounds crazy but they have to hurt you in order for you to hurt them. I know a lady that was sued by a thief that broke into her house. She hit him with an equalizer and broke his arm. He said he was intoxicated and thought it was his own home. He was wearing a bandanna over his face, gloves and had a screw driver. He lived about twelve miles away as well but, he won the case and got like twenty grand from her.

Self-Defense Law Limits Tested in Texas - Total Criminal Defense

I recall a long time ago, Texas had a law still on the books that allowed, under circumstances based on threat, the use of deadly force if there was an intruder in their own property or their neighbors. It was originally intended to protect against horse theives.... it is an extremely wide open state and authorities werespread thin. I believe it has been superceeded by newer laws since.

I joined the group in support of the concealed weapon law back in the early 90's following the Luby incedent... it was appropriate for that state... a state that has a culture in which respect and use of arms is taught at a very young age.

Last edited:
There a many alleged "laws" that people think are true due to word of mouth when they are clearly mythical.

Never mind the fact that T R I P O D is actually mentioned specifically in the documents.

PS> I have yet to meet a single person that believed that "deadly force cannot be used if there is a way out".

But HEY...

I'm a Texan and I get asked if I wear cowboy boots, hat, and ride a horse to work...

Taken from If someone breaks into your home are you allowed to kill them or badly injure them? - Yahoo! Answers

Depends on the State. Some will allow the use of deadly force on an intruder, others require you to run.

If they pose a serious threat to you or your loved ones then yes but, if they are trying to get out or leave in any way (say you told them you called the cops) then no you can't without having some sort of legal thing backfiring on you. Sounds crazy but they have to hurt you in order for you to hurt them. I know a lady that was sued by a thief that broke into her house. She hit him with an equalizer and broke his arm. He said he was intoxicated and thought it was his own home. He was wearing a bandanna over his face, gloves and had a screw driver. He lived about twelve miles away as well but, he won the case and got like twenty grand from her.
Those are hilarious. The lawyer in me is cringing.

But HEY...

Those are hilarious. The lawyer in me is cringing.

It's called the Castle Doctrine/Law. Now, to be fair, there are 3 states that do not have a Castle Law but do have self defense clauses which vaguely describes home intrusion.

In the time this thread took to get to 4 pages, you could've moved to Missouri and only had to fight the cows for space.

Most reactions

Back