$250 ticket for shooting on a tripod in NYC?

It is not a stupid law.... If you lived or spent any time in NYC or any of the surrounding areas, you would understand.

Even idiots who bring a jumbo size golf umbrellas are a danger on those sidewalks. I literally got f'in poked in the eye once.

In 2006 276 independent and studio films were shot in NYC, not counting commercial and fashion shoots plus bog-time events that get filmed.

Permits and rules are a requirement.

I cant beleive how many stupid laws and **** you guys get into for taking pictures....., thanks god i live in canada.

Yes, thanks to God. French fries and gravy forever!!! Major hockey riots every time Vancouver loses the Stanley cup (1994, 2011). Tim Horton's stale coffee! Oh, Canada! Bleeding from a gash.

LOL! you should stop eating fries and gravy. btw, i puked in my mouth when i saw that mirror shot.

I cant beleive how many stupid laws and **** you guys get into for taking pictures....., thanks god i live in canada.

Yes, thanks to God. French fries and gravy forever!!! Major hockey riots every time Vancouver loses the Stanley cup (1994, 2011). Tim Horton's stale coffee! Oh, Canada! Bleeding from a gash.

And to think I considered you one of the more intelligent members on this forum... My bad.

Noobs think he is because he has 10 gazillion post. welcome to the interwebz.

In 2006 276 independent and studio films were shot in NYC, not counting commercial and fashion shoots plus bog-time events that get filmed.

Permits and rules are a requirement.

Permits and rules are a requirement everywhere, but so is common sense, if the guy with the tripod was in the way and blocking people then the park ranger asks him to move, if he argues or refuses then the ticket is justified. If the guy with the tripod is not bothering anyone, then common sense should have dictated that the park ranger advice him of the rules and regulations for future visits to the beach, and everyone goes home happy. But common sense is something that far too many people lack.

In New York, the ego flex is much more important to most people than sensibility, or good nature. I used to live there, and left specifically because of the attitude that most people have there. I think the speed of everyday life, and cost of living in new york put people into a headspace that they can't shake out of when it comes time to actually interact with someone. It's great for getting stuff done and being creative and networking and all that, but, IMO not great for everyone's mood in the long run.

A photographer I know had the same problem in Valley Forge park. The presence of a tripod always seems to trigger a response.

Tripods aren't allowed for use at the Olympics either. I think people see them an obstical, at the multisport games it just comes down to the space alloted for photoghraphers. I don't understand why they are of such concern in large open spaces.

A warning or a suggestion to move along does not generate 250 dollars for the city. The good people of New York just keep voting for the same tax and spend politicians over and over so they get what they deserve.

I got thrown off the beach Wed the 29th for taking pictures. A very cocky sargent ranger Lopez told me I have to leave the beach because I was taking pictures of the half naked ladies in section 1 to the right of the jetty. He says the girls called him, I was "hanging around for hours harrasing em and taking their pictures." I always hang around the beach after my 25 mile bike ride n cool off n have some water. I always carry my camera as well, I was actually taking pictures of an egret to the left of the jettty in the same gerneral area.

I didn't refuse to leave, I was insisting he arrest me for taking pictures, and asking him if it's illegal to take pics at the beach, regardless of the subject matter. They gave me a ticket for refusing to obey an order to leave... "Failure to follow POs direction." I was also called a pervert by sargent ranger Lopez n the cop that wrote the ticket. I did offer my camera n film if they provide a search warrant but stood my ground and kept insisting they arrest me for teh crime I was being charged with, taking pics... that just escalated their tempers, more radio chatter and more sargents n cops n rangers showed up to explain why I had to leave... "because you are told to." By the time we finished there were 10 sargent cops n 5 seargent rangers.

It's an abuse of power. This gives them the right to throw you out becasue you're Jewish, Irish, don't like your hairdo?... refused to leave by order of the gashtopo? I'm going to show up in court, pictures in hand n make my case heard.... all are invited.

Hand small minded people any kind of power and it gives them the "right" to act like jerks. Good for standing your ground.

It is not a stupid law.... If you lived or spent any time in NYC or any of the surrounding areas, you would understand.

Even idiots who bring a jumbo size golf umbrellas are a danger on those sidewalks. I literally got f'in poked in the eye once.

It is a stupid law... I used to be in NYC daily and I live 20 minutes away. If you think a tripod is a danger, than you think someone standing still is a danger.

I don't actually believe this can be true.

And so, I call troll!

It is a stupid law... I used to be in NYC daily and I live 20 minutes away. If you think a tripod is a danger, than you think someone standing still is a danger.

Tripod's legs are a whole lot wider and less visible than a person standing there..... what an idiotic response... I guess the light post or parking meter is also a bigger danger. Heck, my full height tripod can take up 1/2 the width of a sidewalk.

Its not an issue about photography, its an issue about maintaining safe flow of traffic in one of the most densely populated cities in the world. Its just something you have to learn to live with if you are to be in the city.

and yes.... Lots of New Yorkers get pissed off when you stop in the middle of a crowded flowing sidewalk picking your nose. At least people usually have the right mind to stand aside.

ps> I've never had a problem with monopods... perhaps I'm just lucky.

Last edited:
Tripods set up that people have to move around are a hazzard, if you are in a park in the open not bothering anyone and you get hassled then it is stupid, if you are blocking people then I agree that the photographer should move. On any beach you'll find all kinds of people with cameras, it all depends on the beach and where the camera is percieved to be pointing. I shot photos on Bondi beach in Australia, there were lots of topless woman, I did a wide shot, a tourist happy snap type shot, I had no problems, I had a longer lens with me that I never used, I just wanted the overall shot. I could guarentee if I picked up the 300 2.8 and pointed it anywhere I would have had someone talking to me.

There are a lot of people that just see the camera and assume what you're shooting is wrong, when in reality they don't have a clue what you may be shooting, could be a rock in the sand but 100 yards away there is a woman or child and they assume that is what you are shooting, and this is where you run into problems. People just assume, because they are parinoid. On the other side if someone is sitting on the beach with a long lens all day and shooting people, letting the beach authorities know is not out of the question.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back