$250 ticket for shooting on a tripod in NYC?

Paul Ron

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
While at Orchard Beach, a NYC public beach, I saw an amature photographer get a ticket for shooting a model (also an amature) on the sand without a permit because he was using a tripod. The park ranger said as soon as you shoot on a tripod you are considered a professional and that requires a permit in NYC... it's the law. Is this true?

Anyone know exactly what the law is on this?

You should get $250 fine for posting this twice

According to Mayor's office on film, theater and broadcasting (By telephone: 212-489-6710), not true.

NYC.gov - Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting - Production NewsThe key point here is that you are using only otherwise hand-held and that you are not exerting control over the space; i.e. keeping the public from it.

permit6282011100809am.jpg

According to Mayor's office on film, theater and broadcasting (By telephone: 212-489-6710), not true.

NYC.gov - Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting - Production NewsThe key point here is that you are using only otherwise hand-held and that you are not exerting control over the space; i.e. keeping the public from it.

Need to check the NYC Park Regulations since this occurred in a park under the park authority. The permit you point to is only applicable if you are shooting for profit. Orchard Beach is part of the Pelham Bay Park and has it's own set of rules and regulations that have to be checked out there.

Yeah, sorry about the double post I didn' tknow which section to post it in.

I am trying to find the "tripod law" but just keep come up with blogs n junk sites saying it is perfectly leagal, not an actual NYC document, meanwhile this poor guy got a ticket. Makes me a bit more concerned.

Next time I am at the beach, I'll ask the park police that issued the ticket for a copy of the law so I can be absolutly sure it is law and not some over zelous newbie making points.

If anyone finds an actual law, please post the link?

Need to check the NYC Park Regulations since this occurred in a park under the park authority. The permit you point to is only applicable if you are shooting for profit. Orchard Beach is part of the Pelham Bay Park and has it's own set of rules and regulations that have to be checked out there.

It is sometimes just f*ing beyond me why people bring up points or ask questions whose answers can be found with a few minutes looking online.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_about/rules_and_regulations/rr_1-05.html

H
ere, according to this, if the Mayor's Office of Film, Theater and Broadcasting Regulations, cited above, does not require a permit, the Park Regs don't require a permit.

parks628201130214pm.jpg

If anyone finds an actual law, please post the link?

read my post above and below yours for the actual links.
They are in red and underlined.

And read my lips....
that is not the actual "law," only the general park rules as interpreted by the park's dept.

Your first link had the direct link to the law at teh bnottom of the page...

an actual document issued by the mayor's office defining the actual law...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloads/pdf/moftb_permit_rules_QA_final.pdf

I'll be taking this to the beach police n rangers to make them aware of the law as written by the City of NY.

Last edited:

It is sometimes just f*ing beyond me why people bring up points or ask questions whose answers can be found with a few minutes looking online.

H
ere, according to this, if the Mayor's Office of Film, Theater and Broadcasting Regulations, cited above, does not require a permit, the Park Regs don't require a permit.

parks628201130214pm.jpg

Perhaps because you need to also read this: Guidelines for Filming and Photographing in New York City Parks : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

**Please note that location requests within some specific parks are handled directly through those park's respective Conservancy groups and require their own separate application processes. If the Park you would like to film in is listed below, please visit its website for further instructions.

They tend to confuse thing in New York City. To many chiefs writing too many rules all for their own little areas they control. Remember this wasn't, according to the OP, the NYPD writing the ticket but a Park Ranger.

Exactly my point.
You found it.

I would think that someone would just try to find the real information rather than just asking for opinions from someone on the Interweb.

H

parks628201130214pm.jpg

Perhaps because you need to also read this: Guidelines for Filming and Photographing in New York City Parks : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

**Please note that location requests within some specific parks are handled directly through those park's respective Conservancy groups and require their own separate application processes. If the Park you would like to film in is listed below, please visit its website for further instructions.

They tend to confuse thing in New York City. To many chiefs writing too many rules all for their own little areas they control. Remember this wasn't, according to the OP, the NYPD writing the ticket but a Park Ranger.

It is still a public park but now under private care, rules are slightly different because it is concidered under private property rules, lots of people have no idea this has happened to their public NYC parks n properties.

Well thanks everyone, I just hope the guy that got the ticket is reading this and will fight the ticket... my main reason for posting on a few photo sites.

Exactly my point.
You found it.

So even if you're wrong you're still right? Who are you? My wife?

I would think that someone would just try to find the real information rather than just asking for opinions from someone on the Interweb.

Maybe he did and had no luck? Maybe he thought he'd post the question on this photography forum not looking for opinions, but thinking someone might know the law and post a link? And isn't that exactly what happened? So if we apply your above logic, doesn't that make him right?

Maybe you should change your avatar from Mother Teresa to Mother "Superior".

I found it by searching 'new york park tripod.'

You want to make this me being a putz, go right ahead.

This forum is strewn with posts of people asking questions that are easily answered with the least amount of self-effort.
That kind of tell-me-tell-me followed by paternal answering doesn't improve the place, it just adds to the clutter.

Well guess what boyz n gurlz?....

I got thrown off the beach today for taking pictures. A very cocky sargent ranger told me I have to leave the beach because I was taking pictures of the half naked ladies in section 1 to the right of the jetty. He says the girls called him n said I was hanging around for hours harrasing em and taking their pictures. I always hang around the beach after my 25 mile bike ride n cool off n have some water. I always carry my camera as well and was taking pictures of the egret to the left of the jettty in the same gerneral area.

I refused to leave and insisted he arrest me for taking pictures, regardless of the subject matter, so they gave me a ticket for refusing to obey an order to leave... "Failure to follow POs direction." I was also called a pervert by the sargent ranger n the cop that wrote the ticket. I did offer my camera n film if they provide a search warrant but kept insisting they arrest me for taking pics if that was what they felt I was doing wrong... that just escalated their tempers, radiop chatter and more sargents n cops n rangers showed up. By the time we finished there were 10 sargent cops n 5 seargent rangers. It's an abuse of power. I'm going to show up in court and aqlready called the Daily Snooze.

BTW the other reason for posting this was so if the tripod guy reads it he'll fight the ticket instead of jsut paying the fine. Always good to get the law as it was written. Oh and Traveler, yu're a putz! :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back