$250 ticket for shooting on a tripod in NYC?

I found it by searching 'new york park tripod.'

So the OP is wrong because maybe he didn't think to try that combination of words in Google?

You want to make this me being a putz, go right ahead.

It is what it is. I'm no more right or wrong for my opinion of your post that you are for your's of the OP's. So why not just post and let post?

This forum is strewn with posts of people asking questions that are easily answered with the least amount of self-effort.
That kind of tell-me-tell-me followed by paternal answering doesn't improve the place, it just adds to the clutter.

As is every forum on the net. They are also strewn with post such as yours griping about said posts. Don't they also just add to the clutter or do you think they can somehow make the offending posts magically disappear? Cut people some slack and just don't reply if you don't like the thread. That will keep you from adding to the clutter you hate so much.

Back to the topic - I agree with usayit. I would definitely fight that. So they can tell you to leave for any reason and you will get ticketed if you don't? Even if their reason for making you leave was wrong? That seems beatable to me, but you never know in today's world.

Next time you should just leave and not be a trouble maker. If you were trying to document a monumental event I would understand. But some girls were feeling harassed for whatever reason and who do you think he is going to side with?

On a side note, in my state, MN, you need a permit to shoot on city streets and in parks, even if it is not for profit. Some of the permits are free and some cost money. I don't know what NY law is, but if you are doing a 'shoot' and not just random snapshots, I can see how that falls under 'professional' photography. If you bring a model to a particular beach and set-up a camera and have someone holding a reflector, what would you call that?

well ya see what's really happening... the topless girls and their kids are there everyday smoking pot on the beach. The cops n rangers keep passing by in their AC Jeeps all day like flys on honey to check out the action. Maybe the ranger has some other interests in these women?

So yeah it seems they can throw you out for not doing anything illegal by saying you refused to follow a POs direction. That's why I insited on being arrested for taking pics. Now I'd like to see what reason they tell the judge for having me thrown out. I'll try n get the police report next week.

Details to follow.

Why should the comfort level of one person dictate law?

Lets put it this way, I dont like those square pants. I complain to the police. What is most likely going to happen? Police informing you to go home or to inform me that you have every right to wear those pants. Why should it be any different for a person with a camera.

NYC just legalized gay marriage. If a gay couple openly shows affection in public, its obviously going to make some feel uncomfortable. Should the police force that couple to move along if someone complains? I dont think so.... why shoukd it be different for a camera?

shall I continue? The list of situations can go on forever. If we should bend to people's comfort levels, whose comfort level should dictate law? Mine or yours? whose?

The point is, rights are rights... law is law... doesnt matter how monumental...

I personally, would have taken the badge numbers of each and every responding officer (you have a right to) and then moved on. On right to the police station with my lawyer to file a complaint of harassment.

I was in times square last year and this guy was trying to use a tripod on those red glass steps people sit on. The policeman told him tripods weren't allowed, mainly due to someone broke one of the glass panels recently and they were expensive. He said nothing to the guy about needing a permit from what I heard, but this is just one instance. Was interesting to see though.

Most reactions

Back