250watt photoflood in a walmart fixture??

AdamZx3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought some cheaper clamp on floodlights that have a max of 150 watts...is it safe to run the 250watt photofloods in these? I ran a 200watt regular bulb for 30+min in a softbox umbrella and its was fine, a bit warm but not hot,as well as the cord.

Also I have these that I bought on ebay 2 for 20 shipped
ac2.jpg

no clue on the wattage limit?

is there a way to test it out and see if its safe?? I have an extinguisher on the desk and never leave them on and unattended.

P.S. incase anyone wants to know...those AC lamp brackets above from ebay are junky, certain bulbs screw in real hard (making one of them flex and crack slightly) I bought them thinking I would save on spending 15 bucks on an umbrella adapter for the lightstand...:x

I'm using the silver lined umbrella softboxes if that makes a differance for my question.

Theres only really 2 possible reasons for a wattage rating. Heat problems and electrical conductor size. If heat isn't an issue then that's one solved. Just be careful as there's a chance you could start an electrical fire inside the unit if the power rating is beyond the rating of the cables.

Without assuming any responsibility it is normally managable to run at higher wattage when considering conductor size, but do so AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Indeed, what Garbz said. Also, to get UL listed, lights have a certain wattage limit that the UL says is safe to run 24/7. Typically, a larger bulb will be fine for short periods of time - the greatest harm is to the filament itself, the extra heat will burn them out quicker - just be safe!

It's not the wire size that is the issue it's the heat in the socket. It will more than likely burn your fixture up over time but not in an hour or two.
Cosmo

I am an electrician.....

oooh cool :)

so would I be pushing it with 300 ? or cough....500...cough ?

I'm not to worried about life span, hopefully I will be graduated and working again in 4 months.....then some AlienBee 800's!

If you can get a fan and blow some air on the thing it will really help keep it cool. Things heat up much faster and to a much higher temp in still air.

Get a couple of pieces of stove pipe (8" triple wall) and screw them to your fixtures to make a spot light. With a short barrel you will get the diffraction you need and won't have to bake your subjects.

mike

Most reactions

Back