28-70mm on an APS camera?

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm about to grab Nikon's 28-70mm f/2.8 goldring lens for my D200. I have reservations about the lack of wide angle, but then the severe barrel distortion on my 18-70 means I hardly use it at 18 anyway.

Anyone use a 28-x on their APS cameras and find themselves wanting more? I'm sure I'll get over it in 4 years when the D4 comes out :D

I used to own the 35-70 f/2.8 and i've used the 28-70 on a D200.

I found both to be awkward ranges on DX. The 28-70 is ridiculously sharp though.

I also am not too fond of the crinkle finish, seems harder to grip than the current finish.

the 28-70 is sharper than the 17-55 in my experiences at their long ends, similar at the wide. If you have a super wide like a 12-24, than i'd say go for it, otherwise, look more at the 17-35 or 55.

I have and use a Tokina 280 AT-X. I like it a lot! (28-80mm)

I'm really more interested in people than landscapes so a little longer reach is good for me and I don't miss the 10mm on the front end. I do carry the 18-70 on occasion just in case but really haven't needed it.

I have a 10-22, a 24-70 and a 70-200 ... I never used the 24-70 on the APS-C camera. Found it to be an awkward length. But on my full frame ... the 24-70 is absolutely wonderful and an extremely useful range. I love the range on the FF ... hate it on the APS-C.

Gary

Yeah ultimately I will probably buy a wide angle to cover the missing range. It's a pity because I got the lens second hand for a bargain and I couldn't pass up finally replacing my kit lens with a decent one.

Compared the shots today. The bokeh looks wonderful on the 28-70mm f/2.8, and is totally crap on the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 which was this lenses' biggest quality problem.

We'll see where the road takes me in future, but for now it's mine since I got paid today.

You made a good choice. I only shoot portraits and people with mine and I have never felt like I needed a wider angle on my D50. I bought it for the great bokeh, clarity, contrast, speed and build quality. If it’s a paid shoot that lens is on my camera. Enjoy and please share some pics.

Hey LAW2 yeah I fully agree. The first thing I jumped on was the f/2.8 aperture, but I noticed after posting a few test shots that it's the quality of the bokeh which really does well. Smooth rounded, no doughnut shapes.

Seems to suffer a bit of CA wide open but then what lens doesn't. I'm happy with it, but only slightly annoyed that I can't throw out my 18-70mm :S

Most reactions

Back