28mm - 135mm IS lens

Minimum focus distance is .5 meters. If thats close enough for you then go ahead and give it a shot... but it is not a true macro lens.

Thanks. Do you think a lens like the sigma 105mm would be better?

if you like the 28-135, get it, and pick up some macro extension tubes as well. These glassless extenders push the lens further away from the sensor, allowing you to focus much closer with the sacrafice of no focus to infinity. The more space you add the closer you can get to your subject. I should add that manual focus may be required, but you'll be so close you'll be able to see what you are doing.

Of course if you are buying a lens to fill the macro gap in your kit, you'd may be better off buying a macro dedicated lens. If however you just like the 23-135 (and who doesn't), macro extension tubes will put it in the macro catagory no problem.

IMGa_2141Medium.jpg
IMG_3518Asmall.jpg
A true macro lens will give a reproduction of 1 : 1 (Image same size on sensor as in real life. and because of the very close focus distance has a very flat plane which reduces distortion.
Non Macro lenses will not have this facility. The amount of distortion varies with differing lenses and only YOU can say if it is acceptable or not.
I use the Sigma 105mm and find it phenominal...

The Sigma is a true 1:1 lifesize Macro and way better than the 28-135. Sharp sharp sharp.

But if you are looking for a 1 lens to do everything, I'd search more.

Most reactions

Back