mhafweet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.matchlessmemories.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys!

I'm about to buy a wide-angle lens and can save $100 by getting a 28mm instead of a 24mm. Trying to decide if the extra space is worth the extra money.

Can someone go into their backyard and shoot me pictures comparing 28 and 24mm lenses on both a full frame and a 1.6 crop factor camera?

My main concern is just how much of the landscape will be in the photo... how wide it gets. I have been leaning towards the 24mm based on the photos that I'm seeing online, because it opens up a little more than the 28, but I DO have a full-frame camera and I'm wondering if the 28mm would be adequate on a full-frame sensor. =)

Many thanks!
- mhafweet

You can go to the manufacturer's website and it will give you the FOVs for both lenses for your camera body.

A photo taken in my back yard will be useless to you.

The difference between 24mm and 28mm is usually about half a step forward/back.

The difference between one lens and another could be as significant as the difference between a Kia and a BMW. So I'd suggest looking at more than just the focal length and the $100 price difference.

Can someone go into their backyard and shoot me pictures comparing 28 and 24mm lenses on both a full frame and a 1.6 crop factor camera?

The reason the 24-70 is popular on a FF, is because it's pretty much like using the 18-55 on a crop sensor.

24-28mm is wide angle on a FF sensor.

I dont understand the request of asking what that focal length looks like on a FF compared to 1.6x, it's a highly irrelevant comparison.

what lens do you have now? if you already have a 28-80mm or whatnot, I see no reason to replace it with a 24mm unless it's because it's a much better lens in the first place (like a constant 2.8)

The Nikon D50 you show in your profile has a 1.5x crop factor.

Crop sensor or full frame, as Mike said the difference in FOV between 24 mm and 28 mm is pretty close to the equivalent of 1/2 step forward or backwards.

Most reactions

Back