2nd lens recommendation

Jbs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-detail.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i have a canon 40d with the kit lens (28-135). i want to get a second lens, but not sure what to get.

so far i am thinking the 10-22 or (canon or sigma depending on how much cash i have at the time).

i know i want wider shots, but that's about all :lol:

thanks for the help

never heard a bad thing of the sigma 10-22...I'd say go for it.

so i have a canon 40d with the kit lens (28-135). i want to get a second lens, but not sure what to get.

so far i am thinking the 10-22 or (canon or sigma depending on how much cash i have at the time).

i know i want wider shots, but that's about all :lol:

thanks for the help

Why does a 28-135 come as a kit on a crop sensor camera?Weird.
If that's really the case, then you need something like a 16-35, or 17-55 f2.8.
That would give you a "normal" range of 28-80.
Or, if you want to go wider, there are the lenses that you mentioned, which seem to be top notch, judging by the things i hear.

well on your camera assuming the crop factor is 1.6x then it would be 16-35 which is still good but its not a ff sensor so you're not going to get as wide. But if you are looking to go wider i would suggest the sigma my sigma 24-70 is great.

wait, so the 10-22 is not that wide on my camera?

Welcome to the realm of the crop sensor.
Multiply your focal lengths by 1.6 to get the actual reach of your lens.

Your 28-135 is actually a pretty useless 45-216. Well, not useless, but you know what i mean.
"Normal" kit lenses today are in the 18-55 range. Which, as i said, gives you 28-80.

The 10-22 is Canon's equivalent of it's critically acclaimed 16-35, and gives exactly that range, in a slightly slower (3.5-4.5, instead of 2.8), but much cheaper and lighter package. Made specifically for crop sensor cameras, like your 40D.

If i were you, i'd get a 17-55, f2.8. It's L grade, minus the weather sealing.

I have the same camera and the same dilemma.

I'm saving for the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, as I don't see myself upgrading bodies any time soon.

But I'm also low balling any EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM I see on Craigs List or E-Bay..

The 10-22 is about as wide as you are going to get as far as digital APS crop lenses go. If you do not intend on upgrading to a full-frame camera soon(why would you since you just got the 40D), than the EF-S 10-22 is an awesome lens. It is equivalent to a 16-35 on a regular camera. Pretty wide without going to a fish-eye lens. Review wise, the Canon model far exceeds the Sigma in image quality, build and edge sharpness. Always Sigma's weak point.

ahh why did canon make the 40d different from the 20d/5d? i want wiiide! haha

although i think 16-35 would be a little bit more practical.

The Canon 1D (1.3 crop),10D/20D/30D/40D,XT & XTi are all APS Crop sensors with a 1.6X crop-factor. The 5D & 1Ds are full-frame sensors. Hence the hike in price and performance. Nothing wrong with crops, just different strokes for different folks. If you have the bucks and want to retain the best ISO, etc. get the FF. I am perfectly happy with my 40D and do not feel that the crop factor really effects the way I shoot. In fact, its actually a benefit for telephoto work methinks and crappy lenses with poor edge performance can benefit from the crop factor. If it's wide-angle you are after on a crop, than the 10-22 is the way to go. Pretty much why Canon developed it. It is equal to a 16-35 on a FF sensor. You can get teh L version for like $1400.

ahh why did canon make the 40d different from the 20d/5d? i want wiiide! haha

although i think 16-35 would be a little bit more practical.

They didn't make it different from the 20D. It's exactly the same sensor size...lol.

Most reactions

Back