2nd Studio shoot

Granddad

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife was again roped in to test my new studio lighting (and her new dance costume). Lots more but this one stood out.

C&C (particularly on the lighting) is welcome.

I used a main in a 50cm x 70cm softbox and a fill through a white umbrella. I took a risk and dispensed with the backlight.

post processing - gentle photoshop on wrinkles (she had her 60th last August) and removal of the second catchlight from the fill light.

Nikon d700 with Nikon 24 - 70 f2.8

Exif: 26mm, f9, 1/160th sec, ISO 200. WB auto.

Connieconverted_001-2.jpg

She looks strong and confident- I like it!

Nicely done; a couple of thoughts: Your lighting is a bit hot (notice the blown area on her right thigh, wristlets and the lack of detail in the face?). How close were your lights? I think they may need repositioning slightly as well; notice the difference in colour density between her bra and the bottom of her skirt? This is light fall-off as a result of your key being too high (Think "Inverse square law"). You also need to get her to relax a little more; I can almost hear her gritting her teeth and saying, "Is it over yet?"

All that aside though, looks good! Keep it up.

I do not consider the specular highlights on the right thigh and the wristlets to be "blown"...those are specular reflections,and they convey both shape and textural clues about the material the outfit is made from.

I do not consider the specular highlights on the right thigh and the wristlets to be "blown"...those are specular reflections,and they convey both shape and textural clues about the material the outfit is made from.

Right, Derryl, it's a shiny lycra material. But yes, I could try moving the lights back a bit (they were already on the lowest power setting), it'll mean the dining room table has to go out, though!

As for the look, she chose that pose and that look, going for sophisticated as opposed the the big grin she normally has because she's a major ham. I told her to stop but caught this one before she did what I said. I see what you are saying Tirediron, but my initial interpretation was more "Joan of Arc" with a vision of dance heaven, that's a little more apparent in a larger version. I'll process another one tomorrow and add it so you can see the ham in action. Thanks for the feedback, I AM taking it on board and it's appreciated. ;)

Rather than moving the lights further back (which will make them harsher) try adding more diffusion; even something as simple as a sheet of translucent builder's poly (making sure it can't actually touch anything hot) can help.

What look are you going ofr on the backdrop, do you want it white? If so, and your lighting it strobe lighting try looking into dragging the shutter (it's makes the backdrop brighter)
I'm nt a por tho, I'm sure the rest of these guys can offer better advice than me! :)

Great tip! Thanks for that, I'm sure I can find something to do that with... The dining table is pretty heavy, you saved my back! :thumbup::lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back