2nd try at Newborn.

juicegoose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Had a friend ask me to take their newborn photos so I figured it was a good chance for some practice. Let me know what ya think. What works and what doesn't work.

Thanks.
IMG_2214.JPG

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2221.JPG

IMG_2222.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

I'm not a newborn (or pro for that matter) photographer but I think these look pretty good!

Things I noticed:
#2 - The blanket ending on the right hand side is a bit distracting but I understand that it breaks up the shot a bit.
#5 - I would have liked to have seen this one shot landscape to have the whole baby with her head in the duck's lap...Fun concept/shot!
#6 - MY FAVORITE. Like pretty much everything about it!

honestly, I am not a big fan of baby photos taken horizontally with such a shallow DoF.
in #1 and #4, the babys face is in focus, but everything from the neck down is not.
#6 looks like only part of the babys hair is in focus, and you included a bag with writing on it that is almost illegible due to being OOF...which, to me, kinda defeats the purpose of having it there to begin with.

I like the lighting in these, and the posing, and shallow DoF is ok for baby pictures taken head on, but for horizontal shots i would stop that lens down a bit, (or move way back with a longer lens) and get more of baby in focus.
not every shot of baby has to be done with the lens wide open.

I really like #6. I think the letters being oof adds to the hush hush be quiet.

Welcome back Pix, was wondering about you :)

On #1 and #4, part of baby's face is smooshed into the blanket. What works well is a small hand towel, rolled up, then placed under a layer or 2 of the blanket under the baby's head. Will create just enough oomph to raise the head up, but not look like there's a huge thing under there making it happen.

Thanks for the replies guys i appreciate the comments. I was actually pretty limited on space and light. Which had me shooting close and open. I like the tip on the towel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back