3,000 posts, thank you, some thoughts

I

Iron Flatline

Hi all.

This is my 3,000th post, and I've decided to say Thank You to all who make this site run so well - mods, active members, and noobs who "get it". Nowhere on the internet have I seen a community successfully maintain such a friendly and helpful environment.

We have plenty of conversations about gear, and people post images while others comment. Some might argue the comments could benefit from greater depth and thought, but I'm not seeing a higher degree elsewhere on the net. I don't see that as an indictment of the participants, but rather human nature in conjunction with a faceless impersonal space such as the world wide web.

But what we're still a little short of is discussion of photography as an art. The goal I've set myself to improve The Photo Forum is to add an even greater emphasis on the creative aspects of photography. It is my goal to start more conversations about the actual work of creative photographers. Art discussions, if you will, of photographers and their work already on display publicly. It will include artists, journalists, ad shooters, and collagists.

I would have one request. I think conversations about the nature of photography are simpler with images available for viewing. Because these conversations are clearly intended as critical discussion (rather than appropriation) I would ask that it be o.k. to include a few small images of the work in question - clearly attributed and linked back to the creator of the work. This will enable better discourse, and lead to discovery of new artists.

I would be happy to help moderate such conversations, and would be honored to be tasked with such shared responsibility.

Regardless, my participation will continue, even if I bow out of the typical brand explorations and basic craft explanations.

Thanks,

Yoram a.k.a. The Iron Flatline

Great post - congrats on #3000! ;)

Thank you for such a positive expression, Yoram. :thumbup: You have seen many of the changes here at TPF, and your ongoing participation and support is invaluable!

I agree with your suggestion on allowing posted images of others' work when posted for the sole purpose of artistic discussion. Why not label such a thread "Review and Discussion on...." and name the photographer in the subject line. That is making it known the work of the artist may be contained within.

We will continue to guard against copyright infringement, of course, but clearly in a discussion regarding each particular artist, there is no mistaking why the works are posted.

So - have at it! Thanks again. :D

:thumbup: I like it. Do it up, man.

Congrats on your milestone of 3000 quality posts. And for the goal you've set...admirable indeed.

Congratulations on hitting the 3,000 mark.

Great idea, I look forward to reading and maybe participating in such discussions.

Most reactions

Back