3:1 aspect

den9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
does anyone here mess with panoramic photography? it seems like there is only one company who makes such a camera and its not cheap.

i want to buy one so bad but i cant bring myself to spending that much money, yet.

i first discovered it when i accidentally stumbled upon "new york vertical" in the school library, which happens to be one of my now favorite photographers, horst hamann.

searching around i found peter lik and mark gray also use this particular camera, a linhof 617 technorama. i swear these 3 photographers are my favorite and i think its all about the camera format, but the colors and landscape definitely do the justice.

Peter Lik Fine Art Photography Galleries: Online Photo Galleries of Master Photographer Peter Lik Art for Sale | www.peterlik.com
Mark Gray Fine Art Photography - Panoramic Landscape Photography, Nature Photography Prints
http://editionpanorama.com/typo3temp/pics/2924a66079.jpg

im surprised this isnt as popular as i have seen, i think cost is holding everyone back. i kind of hope it never gets too popular like dslr's, i bet soon enough when they become cheaper everyone and their mom will be using these cameras.

its kind of sad that peter lik has alot of publicity and galleries all over rich tourist spots, when i think mark gray is just as good and doesnt seem to have much. both are from australia, but i guess peter lik made the right move and moved to las vegas.

Last edited:
There are a few companies that still manufacture panoramic cameras of one type or another. Here's a partial list of cameras, both in production and ceased production. I use a large format camera with a couple of 6x12 backs (Sinar Zoom 2 and Sinar Panoramic). You can also produce stitched panoramas quite easily with either scanned film or digital. That's the easiest way to start if you have a digital camera.

Best,
Helen

as aways helen is on the mark.

i love this format, but old age :) had made it much easier to use a digital camera and good software, not heavy, or as heavy, but not necessarily cheap; especially if you get real serious and then need to look into the proper head, tripod, etc.

of course you can use a stitching, but wouldnt it have distortion and covnerging lines?

That was the Hasselblad XPan and XPan II, designed and made by Fuji. The Fuji-badged models are the TX-1 and TX-2. Produces 24 mm x 65 mm images.

Best,
Helen

if you use the proper technique and equipment there isn't an issue with distortion and parallex issue.

of course you can use a stitching, but wouldnt it have distortion and covnerging lines?

No...if you do it right there will be no lines or distortion present.

Here's a couple stitches I've done

This one was about 4-5 images stitched
p625187734-4.jpg

This one closer to about 8 photos I believe
p143701927-4.jpg

So stitching can work. That said, if you want to do A LOT of panoramics, a panoramic camera would be worlds easier than spending your time stitching them together and getting it just right.

My own choice is to use a 6x17 camera, but I only shoot B&W film these days, and often take digital for publication.

Here's some recent shots B&W film 6x17 with 75mm Super Angulon and colour - digital, stitched from approx 6 images. The theatre at Miletus.

miletus01_sm.jpg

miletus.jpg

miletus_new.jpg

There was a couple of hours between the two colour (stitched) images the last was taken much earlier.

Ian

Sorry to be late to the discussion (just joined forum).

I used to own a Fuji G617 and loved the camera, but scanning became a big issue for me - fewer and fewer drum scanning services out there, so I sold the camera 2-years ago.

Now however, that some of the flat bed scanners (such as Epson V700) have built in capabilities for 6x17 film, I might get back into 6x17 work.

Knowing what I know from my past work in the format, I would lean towards the Linhof for several reasons - quality being one of issues, but the ability to use virtually any large format lens (there are limitations), as well as the dark slide to allow lens changing are very important. To me, the last item really separates the Linhof from the Fuji GX617.

That all being said, if I where not selling my 4x5 camera & gear, I would consider a Shen Hao 6x17 large format camera.

Currently, I am using my Mamiya 645 AFDii & Phase One back on a Manfrotto panoramic head. I will give that another year before I decide if film 617 is a better choice.

J.D. Floyd

A question:

Is the visual difference between a print shot with a panoramic rig and one shot with a suitable wide angle lens and then cropped top and bottom worth all the fuss?

assuming you mean a regular format camera with a wide angle, you will still get distortion with a wide angle.

thats one of the benefits of the 3x1 format, no crazy distortion.

A question:

Is the visual difference between a print shot with a panoramic rig and one shot with a suitable wide angle lens and then cropped top and bottom worth all the fuss?

i think loading a 3x1 camera every 4 shots is more of a fuss than cropping stitching.

ur better off taking three shots with a 50mm lens and stitching, than taking a wide angle lens shot and cropping.

Most reactions

Back