3:2 ratio 4x6 still cropping

Chorizoetrope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, all. I'm pretty new to photography and this is my first post. I probably should have introduced myself first, but I have a problem that's been bothering me a lot. I hope it's alright if I get right to it.

I have a Canon 7d, which, from what I've been able to tell is the standard 3:2 ratio. All the info I've been able to find suggests that there's no cropping necessary for 4x6 prints. You should be able to just print away sans cropping. I've had some prints made both at a Wal Mart and at home using an inkjet printer, and they've all been cropped just a little bit on all sides. It's driving me crazy. I've tried rotating the image, putting the paper in sideways, resizing it to literally 4x6 inches. They all come out the same. What on Earth am I doing wrong?

You can check the aspect ratio (3:2) by dividing the long side by the short side.
Your 7D makes Large Raw and JPEG files that are 5184 x 3456 pixels. 5184 / 3456 = 1.5, as does 3 / 2 = 1.5, as does 4 / 6 =1.5

It could help if you could say how much "just a little bit on all sides" is being cropped off in terms of fractions of an inch or pixels. Can we assume your home printer is an all-in-one home type printer designed to mainly use 8.5 x 11 paper?

That they are cropped just a little bit on all 4 sides may be because they are being printed 'full bleed', or all the way to the edge of the print paper so there is no white border.
To do that it's not uncommon for a small bit of the image to extend beyond the papers edge.

I am assuming you know that other popular print sizes are not 3:2 aspect ratio. 8x10 is 4:5, and 5x7 and wallets are 5:7.

It looks like it's zoomed in about 1/8th of an inch on each side. The printer is a Canon Pixma MP250. Looks like an all in one printer, not sure if it's designed mainly for the one size, though. I've tried switchng on and off the borderless setting and it still crops it. I had a couple hundred 4x6's printed at a Wal Mart and they were all cropped the same way, too. Is there some kind of default setting that adds borders? I didn't see anything like that when I selected the pics to be printed and their setting at the walmart. Nor on their online store. Mpix has an option to add borders, but I'm assuming that option actually adds a white border, not a zoom in, pain in the buttockal region, cropped border like the ones i've been experiencing. Your full bleed explanation sounds like it should be the culprit, but the problem lingers with or without borderless turned on, portrait mode or landscape. Like a steering wheel in my pants, it's driving me nuts!

I'm aware of the plethora of aspect ratios and print sizes, but thought that perhaps I was just doing something wrong, that I had some misinformation. There seems to be a ton of that on the net, it can be hard to find some true nitty gritty. Thanks for replying!

Most reactions

Back