3 620 film questions.

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshirecatcarclub.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is 620 film the same (or close enough) to 120 film and can I use it in a 120 camera? (or even 120 film in a 620 camera? )

Maybe one for the Darkroom but is C22 process compatible with C41?

Finally is film dated 11/78 likely to be duff even if it's been stored properly? (I was 6 when it expired! :shock: )

Yeah, I've been shopping on Ebay again! :biggrin: I gotta find a new way to get these things into the house without my wife seeing them! :shock: :wink:

620 film is the same film as 120, but the spool is a different size. B&H has 620 rolls.

Not sure about the developing question.

Film from '78 if it has been frozen the whole time might have a fighting chance, if not I would think not. Obviously, don't use it for your wedding.

Dave

How were you planning on developing this, Chris? You can find the spools and get images, but I don't think it will fit on a standard reel. :scratch:

And I'm pretty sure you can buy it fresh from places like J&C, if you want.

Assuming you develop your own film and don't mind a bit of work, buy a couple of rolls of 620. Save the spools. You can then re-spool 120 on the 620 spools.

Film from 1978 [I was 44 back then] is probably not only duff [whatever that is], but also heavily fogged and not worth freezer space.

Torus34 said:
Assuming you develop your pwn film and don't mind a bit of work, buy a couple of rolls of 620. Save the spools. You can then re-spool 120 on the 620 spools.

Film from 1978 [I was 44 back then] is probably not only duff [whatever that is], but also heavily fogged and not worth freezer space.
But how to get them in the tank, Jim? Somewhere along the road I was given the impression it's not going to load in a standard reel. You believe it will?

terri said:
How were you planning on developing this, Chris? You can find the spools and get images, but I don't think it will fit on a standard reel. :scratch:

And I'm pretty sure you can buy it fresh from places like J&C, if you want.

I have an old, old, old Paterson Major II tank with an adjustable spiral that will do 120/620 film. (Or so it says on the tin! )

I'd just like to produce some images from some of the older cameras now in my collection rather than retire them permanently to a shelf!

I don't really expect the 620 film to be much good but will run it through my Kodak six-20 (or G.B Kershaw 110, hence the question) just to see how lucky I may be! :lol:

I'm totally envious. I have two cameras myself that want 620 film, and both are clean enough to make me believe I could get some decent images. I'm like you...I want to use the babies. :heart: I have extra 620 spools, so getting film doesn't dissuade me, it's just the idea that I have no workaround with these modern plastic reels and tank of mine. :x

I wonder how easy or hard it would be to find an old tank....I wouldn't really know what to call it.

Any tank that uses 120 should be able to do 620. The film is the same width, just the spools are thinner (on 620).

There are also respooling directions on the web, just Google "respooling 620" and you'll find them. I have a link on my home computer but I'm away now and don't have access to it.

Yes you can develop the film on 120 reels...

I have a curtain system for my 120 tank and it works fire. But you are going to respool, you will have 120 film when you take it off anyway.

Nobody waves a wand to change it in the camera. Still as everyone says it is the same size. The spools were just made to force you to use their film rather than the standard 120 from europe.. Big gold you know.

Then of course after they made a crap load of cameras for "their" film they discontinued it. Big Gold ya know.

I would like to have a kodak reflex but I'm not sure I want to respool film. I do it now and then for a duraflex pinhole I have but I hate it everytime.

By the way I have tried sanding, snipping and about everything else to use a 120 spool in 620 cameras it's just easier to respool it trust me on this one.

Torus34 said:
Terri;

120 and 620 are both 2 3/8 - 2 13/32 inch wide.
It is.....? Well then....this is a banner day! :cheer:

I'm trying to recall where I read or how I heard that the stuff would not load....I'm guessing somebody confused the spool sizes with reel sizes....

Anyway, who cares? I get to play with a couple old cams now. I have an immaculate Duaflex III and an old Brownie 620.....possibly more, but those I know are very clean.

!!!

:boogie:

Go for it, Terri! It's loads more fun, not to mention cheaper, to use an old Kodak[TM] than it is to go out and buy a new soft-focus lens! Speaking of oldies [and (modestly) I do so with some authority, being one myself,] I derive a lot of satisfaction from street photography using a Fed, Zorky or Kiev rather than some super-gee-whiz-bang 21st Century camera designer's dream.

Now if only they would bring back orthochromatic film . . . [sigh]

ksmattfish said:
Ehem... stainless steel. ;)
Bite me, punkin! :mrgreen:

You have no appreciation for my clumsiness. I couldn't load that stainless reel under the bright lights of my darkroom class. :lol:

Torus34 said:
Go for it, Terri! It's loads more fun, not to mention cheaper, to use an old Kodak[TM] than it is to go out and buy a new soft-focus lens! Speaking of oldies [and (modestly) I do so with some authority, being one myself,] I derive a lot of satisfaction from street photography using a Fed, Zorky or Kiev rather than some super-gee-whiz-bang 21st Century camera designer's dream.

Now if only they would bring back orthochromatic film . . . [sigh]
Oh, I'm absolutely excited to go shoot the 2 cameras I mentioned, and take a look at a couple more I have to make sure I'm not forgetting anyone. These 2 I know to be very clean. It will be fun to see what those old lenses give me - I do expect some softness, and if I'm lucky, maybe some true vignetting. We'll see.

This is a closeup of the oldest camera I've shot with:
584-Kodak1pocket.jpg
A Kodak No. 1 pocket. Worked beautifully, but there was a light leak and I'm sure those old bellows were the culprit. I've not invested any $ into replacement, since he's not a particularly practical camera anyway. But it was fun to shoot. :)

Most reactions

Back