3 620 film questions.

mysteryscribe said:
send me the lens lol....
No!! :p

I choose not to tell you what all I own, Charlie. They happen to look very cute on display, at home and at the arts fests. :lovey:

Now if only they would bring back orthochromatic film . . . [sigh]
You can still get ortho film.. the company Maco makes it. it´s called Ort 25c. I´ve never used it but i´ve been told it´s very nice, sharp and fine, especially at 120/620!

J&C has 620 in both common color and B&W films but no specialty film. Also I do not think they sells direly to Europe. They are partnered with FotoImpex. http://www.fotoimpex.de/index.html

stingray said:
You can still get ortho film.. the company Maco makes it. it´s called Ort 25c. I´ve never used it but i´ve been told it´s very nice, sharp and fine, especially at 120/620!
Yes you can get Ort 25c in 120 from J&C, i also got it (35mm) from Freestyle before but can not find it on there site now

You should try sticking 120 spools into any camera that is designated 620. Don't force them, but give it a try. While many of them will not fit, many will. Both of my vintage cameras (one of which is my beloved Argoflex E!) are nominally 620 cameras, but I've used 120 in both with no problems.

Respooling is not difficult if you've done it a couple of times. However, something to keep in mind is that the film is taped at the "leader" end. I've found that it's easiest to simply tape the trailer end, and reverse the roll. When you get to the original tape, just peel it off, I peel off the paper, fold it over, and stick it to the film, it's easier than peeling it off the film. The roll will read "Exposed" when you load it into the camera, and look almost like a frest roll when you take it out. Take some masking tape to reseal it, and mark it with an X so you know it's been exposed.

And, as previously mentioned, it's identical with 120 film, except that the spool the film comes on is smaller for 620. You will have no problem getting it onto a 120 reel.

Why, you might be asking, do I know anything about respooling if my (beloved!) Argoflex takes 120-sized spools? Well, I foolishly disregarded advice to try this when I got the camera, and decided that I was going to simply respool. It was a nightmare at first, but then I got pretty good at it. Then, one day, I mistakenly loaded a roll on a 120 spool (or perhaps stuck in a 120 takeup-spool, I don't quite recall). Once I realized it, I was shocked, amazed, and annoyed. Also, I seem to recall reading two other facts somewhere: some cameras will accept a 120 spool on one end but not the other; and Kodak cameras are the likliest to accept only 620 spools, since 620 was their brainchild. Other brands wished to maintain compatibility with established standards.

As for the marking with the X if the film is reverse-spooled: It takes only one roll that's been double-exposed. Also, I believe the leader and trailer end of the paper are different lengths. I always matched them up and placed the end of the film in the same place on both, to make sure that the film would be on frame 1 when the camera said it was. It's hard to say, because it's been a while, and I did it in the dark.

to expand on that many of my old cameras will take 120 on the supply side but take up had to be 620 because the take up knob will not fit in the larger holes of the 120 spool just make sure they give you your roll back and you dont have a problem.

Just as an FYI since I've already 'amazed' a few people by showing them this.. Terri, if you're using Patterson (or patterson style) plastic reels, they probably snap apart and widen to develop 126 and 120 films respectively.

Depending on what 620 camera I'm using, I either:

-Leave 120 film unmodified
-Use scissors to trim the plastic spool edges
-Trim edges and sand the spool
-Reroll 120 onto a metal 620 spool

It just depends.. 120 film is in all ways identical to 620. Length, width, and numerical markings on the backing.

Yeppers, my plastic reels have developed many a roll of 120 film for me just in that fashion. ;)

hmmm, I already have 3-4 metal 620 spools still secure in the cams they came in. I've not thought to make a mental note if they were on the take up side or not. I'll try a roll of 120 film on the supply side just to see if the spool fits. If not, I can get some from J&C.

Really, the one I'm most interested to shoot now is the Duaflex, it's very clean.

God, I need more hours in a day! :lol:

Everyone missed one point here...
C22 id DEFINITELY different from C-41. Diff. process. So that film will have to be developed by someone who has those chemicals.
In addition, believe it or not, Kodak still makes 620 film. As someone who has been down that path, have fun with it, but make sure you re-spool any film tightly. Loose film respolled will in fact fogg quite badly.

Some great advice here from everyone! :D Many, many thanks.:thumbup:

& thanks Soocom1 for the dev answer. Since I'm developing myself and don't have c22 chems (or intend to buy them for just one film!) I'll leave the old 620 film alone. Something else to sit on the shelf for the wife to dust! :lol:

Just messing with an old polaroid camera with 699 film at the moment but the next project is 120 re-spooled or maybe Kodak 620 film. Just need something good to shoot!

Most reactions

Back