3 point lighting

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was experimenting with 3 point lighting the other day and wondering how I could improve

The set up was a soft box on camera right about 2 1/2 feet above his head, bounced from a silver umbrella on camera left even with him, and one light behind him to camera left side about again 2 1/2 feet above him. They are all continuous lights.

The ceiling lights in front of him were off but a row of lights towards the wall behind him were on to illuminate the background

20070530_2363.jpg

and a close up

20070530_2361.jpg

The hairlight is too bright/obvious, and the primary strobe isn't quite bright enough. Other than that you're on the right track.

In addition to what Max said, the white balance is horribly wrong. Skin tones must be spot on with portraits. Your hot lights are not daylight balanced, so they will require filtering or wb adjustment.

Something about the closeup triggered memories of "Breakfast Club" in my mind. Can't tell you why, don't even know if you care. I really want to play with lighting, but I'm not quite there yet. These are a great start.

The subject's hair seems a bit wet, so it is reflecting the light on it pretty blatnatly... Other than that, it's a good looking shot. I'm not seeing the WB issues the previous poster mentioned. The skin tones look pretty natural to me. I mean maybe thats not his natural tone, but I certainly know a few people with that same skin tone

These look like movie set shots. I see you are in LA. You may be able to remove some of the reds in the shot via a curves adjustment. I like the mood of them.

On the 1st image, I'd like to have all of the guy's glasses in frame, too and perhaps a bit of the table top. His hair needs a bit more illumuniation on the left side where the hair light is not hitting in order to bring detail out.

Good job, though. Interesting shots.

These look like movie set shots. I see you are in LA.

I Guess that could be a good thing as my goal is to eventually be a director of photography. Oh, and that was also taken in my film class.

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate it and I've been working on it some more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back