3 "Portrait Shots" need C&C.

Prophet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was testing out my gear last weekend. I need some C&C as i want to take our family shot for Christmas cards. C&C welcome.

cute.jpg (image)

Mason_xmas.jpg (image)

persistent.jpg (image)

I know there are some obvious stuff. But are my images to bright? I had some issues with focus so there may still be some softneses. I used photoshop to autosharpen them. I'm actually really pleased with how they came out but can I make them better? I used my single Vivitar flash with an umbrella and no other flash. The setup I used is the strobist kit from Midwest Photo Exchange.

Again, you can view more pictures of this shoot on my blog linked below.

-JD-

I'm sorry, but the images are a bit large and is it to much to ask to just click the links?

-JD-

It is not.

The first one, his face is a bit overexposed on the left side (right side of the picture). His hat has definitely lost detail in some of the fringe.

The second is most definitely soft, but if thats what you were going for - good go on that.

The third one, I though would have been "cuter" if we could see a bit of the little boy, or if there was a tighter crop here. We lose the faces of both our subjects, so we're really just relying on our aesthetic sense of what is "cute" to complete the picture.

Having said that I think the main thing that takes away from these shots is the background. Get rid of some of that stuff, or position the young man more aggressively in front of that X-Mas tree. If thats not an option, maybe some "fake" presents to litter behind him so we can't see the separation between the bottom of the tree and the runner along the wall. Just a few nigglers.

The first one, his face is a bit overexposed on the left side (right side of the picture). His hat has definitely lost detail in some of the fringe.

How would you fix this?

The third one, I though would have been "cuter" if we could see a bit of the little boy, or if there was a tighter crop here. We lose the faces of both our subjects, so we're really just relying on our aesthetic sense of what is "cute" to complete the picture.

Obviously this was not a planned shot. I had to move very quickly to get what I got. Not much I can do on that. Where would you crop?

Having said that I think the main thing that takes away from these shots is the background. Get rid of some of that stuff, or position the young man more aggressively in front of that X-Mas tree. If thats not an option, maybe some "fake" presents to litter behind him so we can't see the separation between the bottom of the tree and the runner along the wall. Just a few nigglers.

Good point. In my family, we don't put the presents out till Christmas Eve after the kiddo's are asleep. Btw, that is two different little boys!

-JD-

How would you fix this?

Not sure, how did you shoot him/them to begin with. The general solution would be to bounce the light/s as the camera is pretty good at manually increasing/decreasing the strength of your flash depending on distance. If all else fails, UNDEREXPOSE, because you can always correct that in post. However, an OVEREXPOSED image has lost detail forever.

Obviously this was not a planned shot. I had to move very quickly to get what I got. Not much I can do on that. Where would you crop?

This is true, and it irks the hell out of me when people critique composition on spontaneous shots. However, if you see that magic might be happening, you can also slip in to do a quick adjust. We'll never know. I would actually crop around their heads, keeping the kids hansd in the shot.

Don't like chasing links and then they have to be resized antway. - TF

Holy ****, then DONT POST. You come off as a jerk if your ONLY contribution is to finger wag at the OP. "Chasing links" - who are you, really.

I agree with the above comments.
I just want to add, "AWWWWWW its a boxer!"

I got two. Thank God they are almost out of puppyhood. One is 2.5 and one just turned a year. The one year old has almost finished eating our house. LOL
Our oldest is fawn and the younger is a reverse brindle :) I've posted them all over this forum.

This is true, and it irks the hell out of me when people critique composition on spontaneous shots.

Second that.. But it also bugs me when people ask for critique, and then when you suggest something, they go, "Well, what did you expect? I did what I could.."

I agree with the above comments.
I just want to add, "AWWWWWW its a boxer!"

I got two. Thank God they are almost out of puppyhood. One is 2.5 and one just turned a year. The one year old has almost finished eating our house. LOL
Our oldest is fawn and the younger is a reverse brindle :) I've posted them all over this forum.

Actually, hate to burst your bubble, but she is a Pit Bull.

Actually, I suppose I should have stated this, but I was looking for tips on exposure, contrast, sharpness, focus issues and crop. I didn't want to limit anyone, so I didn't state that. As someone previously mentioned to add presents under the tree. That was an excellent idea.

And I hope I didn't or haven't come off as rude or ungrateful. Except where people complain about the size of the pics or having to click on a link. On my blog, I have details on the exposure, aperature and time. I should have posted that already but I was in a hurry.

Also:

I used my single Vivitar flash with an umbrella and no other flash.

No TTL here, just me adjusting the flash for power and shooting through the umbrella angled down at my subject(s).

Thanks again to those that have posted thus far with helpful tips.

-JD-

Most reactions

New Topics

Back