Jeremy
www.boyd.zenfolio.com

Canon 1D
100-400mm L f4.5-5.6 IS

f10
400mm
1/800 sec

absolutely outstanding

were you in another plane or something how did u get those?

Thanks Yahoozy,

Most of the shots were taken from my Jet while doing Air Refueling.

Thanks for the comments.

Jeremy

Looked at the others at its set on your zenfolio. Nice stuff!

I'm guessing those three were just breaking the sound barrier, because of the condensation wave at the nose of the aircraft?

Great shots.

I've seen this one of yours before, but I'm not remembering whether it was posted here at TPF or if I'd just been to your site to view it.

I seem to remember mentioning the APOD image of another plane with an entire condensation ring. Does that sound familiar?

What is it about pulling up that causes the condensation to occur?

Is this getting too wordy?

Answer to question from Wikipedia:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Condensation from decreases in pressure
Main article: wingtip vortices
The wings of an aircraft cause a drop in air pressure in the vicinity of the wing. This brings with it a drop in temperature, which can cause water to condense out of the air and form a vapour trail or contrail. This effect (the Prandtl-Glauert singularity), is more common on humid days, and can be seen on fighter jets performing high energy maneuvers, during shuttle launches, on the expanding surface "bubble" of nuclear explosions, or on airliners during takeoff and landing. Additionally, the area around a turbo-fan intake will be at a lower pressure than the surrounding air, and may result in a condensation fog forming there during high power settings.
These effects are compounded with the other explanation of contrails, which is the water vapor produced by the combustion of jet fuel. High altitude contrails are seen directly behind the one or two jets, and with aircraft with four jets, such as the Boeing 747, there are four contrails. The vapor trails caused by the first mentioned effect are usually seen at low altitude where the ambient humidity is higher, and they follow the wings rather that the jet engines.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hope that helps in understanding. Looks like the high energy maneuver is the cause.

Thanks again for the comments.

Jeremy

Answer to question from Wikipedia:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Condensation from decreases in pressure
Main article: wingtip vortices
The wings of an aircraft cause a drop in air pressure in the vicinity of the wing. This brings with it a drop in temperature, which can cause water to condense out of the air and form a vapour trail or contrail. This effect (the Prandtl-Glauert singularity), is more common on humid days, and can be seen on fighter jets performing high energy maneuvers, during shuttle launches, on the expanding surface "bubble" of nuclear explosions, or on airliners during takeoff and landing. Additionally, the area around a turbo-fan intake will be at a lower pressure than the surrounding air, and may result in a condensation fog forming there during high power settings.
These effects are compounded with the other explanation of contrails, which is the water vapor produced by the combustion of jet fuel. High altitude contrails are seen directly behind the one or two jets, and with aircraft with four jets, such as the Boeing 747, there are four contrails. The vapor trails caused by the first mentioned effect are usually seen at low altitude where the ambient humidity is higher, and they follow the wings rather that the jet engines.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hope that helps in understanding. Looks like the high energy maneuver is the cause.

Thanks again for the comments.

Jeremy
Yep. A sharp ascent would further decrease the air pressure along the top of the wing, causing greater condensation, more noticeable in high humidity, and before the jet was at high altitude.

Thank you Jerry.

And again, awesome photos.

Most reactions

Back