3 Stories on attacks of journalists in Egypt

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Formatted, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Formatted

Formatted No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    List complied by the Committee to Protect Journalists, of attacks on photographers, cameraman and journalists in Egypt the list is worryingly large with quite a few scary reports. Mubarak intensifies press attacks with assaults, detentions - Committee to Protect Journalists

Wally Nell (Sports Shooters Member) working for Zuma Press was shoot with what is effectively buckshot - Story on Facebook

Nine photographers interviewed by the NY times on the increasingly dangerous situation - Even the Middle Ground Is Perilous in Cairo: Nine Photographers Describe Their Experience - NYTimes.com

Couple of stories for you, its a scary situation for everyone involved, lets hope they all return safely after this mess is all sorted.

2. Infidel

Infidel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Very frightening stories....really speaks to the power of information, and how there are those that fear it. Hopefully the journalists can do their work; it's an absolutely critical piece on the way to resolution.

3. Rekd

Rekd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    These guys/gals knew what they were getting into when they went there. I hope they come out ok, but I'm not going to feel sorry for them when they get Anderson Coopered in the side of the head 10 times by an angry mob.

4. Formatted

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whilst true journalists are used to get roughed up a bit, but nothing this bad. If you read the Wally Nell story he was deliberately targeted by the police.

5. Rekd

Rekd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Of course they have been targeted! What did you expect was going to happen?

The government shut off the internet and phones because they don't want people seeing what's going on. It is no wonder the reporters have been targeted.

In fact, I knew (or was fairly certain) this was going to happen. I mentioned it to my wife last week.

The anti-dictator protesters were peaceful and wanted to get the word out. The pro-dictator protesters are not peaceful and want to silence the media, so they (the media) get Anderson Coopered on the head.

6. Formatted

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In no first word country would you expect that being shot at, beaten or having your journalistic equipment confiscated. So going back to your original comments

How can you stand by and say I'm not feeling sorry for them. When this is wrong.

7. Rekd

Rekd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't mean to burst your bubble, but Egypt is not a first world country.

Also, I never once said you did not feel sorry for them. I said I would not feel sorry for them. They chose this, they were not forced into it. They should not get any more sympathy than anyone else there.

And lastly, I've seen first hand what the US police can (and do) get away with, so you shouldn't be THAT surprised.

8. Formatted

Photos NOT OK to edit
    By middle eastern standards, Egypt is one of the most advanced countries!

Still doesn't make it right though

9. Rekd

Rekd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Egypt is not a first world country. Doesn't matter if they're advanced compared to other countries.

I never said it was right. I just said I don't feel sorry for anyone that puts themselves (knowingly) into a position to get Anderson Coopered like these journalists did.

10. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

If you step into a fight ring you are going to get bloody nose. That is the way it is. They choose to be there and they knew the risks. If they were not prepared for the possibilities then they made a bad choice by going there in the first place.

Frankly, situations like this are just exacerbated when those from outside a particular culture decide to add their 2 cents thinking that they know what is best for others. The availability of instantaneous news only tends to makes situations worse because those involved have little time for rational thought.

There are cultures in this world that are not compatible with our western perception of how the world should be. They have to come to terms with life and the direction of their society and country in their own way and in their own time.

11. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

Sorry Formatted, i can't leave this open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.