3 Things I Screwed Up in My New Photography Business

MLeeK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
3 Things I Screwed Up in My New Photography Business » psychologyforphotographers.com
What mistakes were your killers?

1. Thinking "I'll never shoot sports or need a lens that focuses lightning fast for sports..." Wow, am I eating those words.
2. Fearing that the shots that weren't technically perfect sucked. They were great work. EVERYTHING has imperfections in it.
3. Getting a photography education instead of a business education.
4. (cuz I have lots of screwups!) owning too many camera bodies. It's an addiction. Lenses would have been smarter. WAYYY smarter.

Hmmmm.. 3 things or 4? lol. Experience is everything and we all learn from our mistakes...

1. I need this... and that... and this... and... You get the idea...

2. What you said; binning anything that didn't meet my high standards of technical "perfection".

3. Too little targeted advertising and way too much reliance on "word of mouth" and "good kharma".

Subscribing to this thread in hopes of learning what not to do. I have had a non-prof business/site since 2010 which is finally taking off. 1-3 above fits me perfectly.

Key points from that article -

The problem is, the stuff you see when you look at someone’s blog usually isn’t nearly as important to their actual business as the stuff you can’t see.

Stuff like a clear business plan. A solid understanding of their target client and what that client is REALLY looking for. Skilful behind-the-scenes relationship building with other business owners who also serve their target market. Impeccable customer service, expectation management, and masterful handling of any client complaints. A thorough understanding of copywriting, brand messaging, and how people actually make decisions.

Subscribing to this thread in hopes of learning what not to do. I have had a non-prof business/site since 2010 which is finally taking off. 1-3 above fits me perfectly.
Here's another post that might be of help to people heading into the business http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ning-business-building-house.html#post2707594

Interesting analogy. I can attest to seeing some over the top photographers who failed miserably at promoting/networking which left them with an expensive personal site.
Thanks for sharing.

1) buying gear for what I needed at the time, instead of what would be the most versatile and hold value the best. I have a lot of random junk sitting around that collects dust, but isn't worth the effort of selling either.

2) Worrying more about technical aspects of photography more than cultivating my style, vision and what I want my product to be

3) underselling myself. Sure, humility is good and fine and all, but saying 'well, I guess I'm sort of okay, but I wouldn't say great" doesn't get you a whole lot of work. Be confident in your work and abilities, and work your behind off to deliver on those promises.

3) underselling myself. Sure, humility is good and fine and all, but saying 'well, I guess I'm sort of okay, but I wouldn't say great" doesn't get you a whole lot of work. Be confident in your work and abilities, and work your behind off to deliver on those promises.

I learned this the hard way with my website business. Had to really talk myself up which i hate doing. But confidence sells move units.

runnah said:
I learned this the hard way with my website business. Had to really talk myself up which i hate doing. But confidence sells move units.

My biggest problem. I am too honest and critical. I know some photographers that talk themselves up so much I want to vomit. But it works for them. People believe them and buy.

Thinking I knew a lot about photography until about a year ago.

I still don't know a whole lot but a year ago I was dumb and arrogant.

Man, it really sucks when senility sets in, doesn't it? I knew SO MUCH back when...

Man, it really sucks when senility sets in, doesn't it? I knew SO MUCH back when...

The docs said I have early onset senility. :(

I'm 19, I DO know everything. Isn't that how it works? lolz

Ehh... I don't know; it's kind of neat shaving a new face each morning.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back