3-way or ball-head?

sashbar

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone moved from a good 3-way head to a ball-head and missed the precise adjustment of the former?

Nope... I use both. For most work, I prefer a ball head, but for macro and certain other precise work a 3 way /tilt-pan head is preferable, and since they can be found cheap on Craig's List and other used 'sites, why not have the best of all worlds?

I don't regret moving away from 3 way to ball head.

I find that my ball head is much easier to use and almost as easy to get in the exact right position.

The only time I really use my 3 way now is shooting video at music venues.

I use both. I like a ball head for it's ease of use...but my particular ball head is a cheap brand, and the plates don't fit well etc. So while I do use it, I like the rock solid aspect of my 3-way. But on the other hand, I've got a handful of cheap tripods with 3-way type heads, and they are terrible for stability.

So I guess what I'm saying...is that the type of head isn't as important as having a good quality head.

I also use both, plus a third type; The 3-ways for precise framing and composition, like my macro stuff, which often also employ focusing rails, and the ball heads for more casual go-with-the-flow shots. For heavy, long lens type shooting, I use my gimbal heads.

In addition, I have window mounts, suction mounts, magic arms, super-clamps, and other specialized mounting heads to use for special situations.

I use them all, depending on the situation, and wouldn't want to be restricted to only be able to use any one of them.

Ditto.. I use both, depending on what my needs are. Geared 3-way for macro and anything I need precision on, ballhead for anything else.

In addition, I have window mounts, suction mounts, magic arms, super-clamps, and other specialized mounting heads to use for special situations.

That is what I am trying to resist. But I am slowly losing the battle.

Most reactions

Back