>30 sec Time exposure on a D3100

steakman911

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Guys/Gals hello..first post here..

I've used an old Pentax P31N film unit for many many years. Found it a great camera for an amateur such as my self and from time to time I actually managed to produce some pretty good results. One of the things I did enjoy doing were night time long term exposures. Since digital came around, I've used P/S cameras for the most part, but decided to jump back into a DSLR just recently.

Can some one here tell me with absolute certainty if it is even possible to do a long term exposure (>30 sec), and what I would need to acquire in order to utilize my D3100 beyond said limit in manual mode....without holding my finger on the shutter release button. I find it rather strange that this unit does not allow connection of a lockable manual cable right on the shutter release button...something that completely escaped me when I bought this unit and something I am beginning to think I will regret.

Thanx,

stk

Yep.. none of the old style locking cables on these new fangled electronic gadgets! But there are all sorts of cool toys / tools that will actuate the shutter!

Thanx kindly guys.
Gotta love technology. Now to find one up here in the hinterland is another story. Amazon to my place is $39.95 + Taxes and other assorted BS.
But the info is priceless.!!

Cheers,

stk

Here's one from Amazon Canada for CDN$3.95. Shipping is CDN$9.90 though plus tax. But still cheaper.

Aputure Camera Remote Shutter Release Cable 3N for Nikon D90, D5000, D3100, D7000: Amazon.ca: Electronics

There are also digital with timer release cables and even wireless ones out there but are more expensive obviously.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ield-keywords=Shutter+release+for+nikon+d3100

PS. Do remember to adjust your exposure settings to bulb mode in order to do longer exposure. And i do have a D3100 with a cheap remote cable and can with absolute certainty do long exposures. :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is good information. I'm going to be picking up a d3100, and got looking into accessories. The timer cable would be a nice option. I also was looking on ebay at some of the gps units for this camera, and they all come with a shutter release cable (no timer though).

Good link Jrizal..and thank you for that.! I'm kinda looking at one now with timing ability to not only do time exposures but stop motion as well...could be fun.!

cheers,

stk

Most reactions

Back