300 dpi images

coldclimber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This might sound like a dumb question but i need an answer to it.

I have a camera that takes digital images at 9mb when these images are saved either jpeg or raw they are always 72 dpi is there a way or how do i make these 300 dpi while still keeping the quality, ready for print.

thanks

actually the camera is not taking them at 72 dpi, it is 72 ppi or pixels per inch. the dpi is basically double the ppi, so actually your camera is shooting at 142 DPI. I know if shooting in RAW use the raw editor to up the resolution...and jpegs you will have to up the resolution in the Image Size menu.

after thinking about this, i may have this confused with LPI...too many things to remember. someone correct me if i am wrong.

DPI is a printer setting.

PPI is pixels per inch...which controls how the image will look at a computer screen. As an experiment...change the PPI setting (in photoshop, for example) but don't re-sample it. You can change it to 1000 PPI...or to 2 PPI...it doesn't change the actual image.

The important number to pay attention to, is the actual size of the image...in pixels.

Now when you want to print...
For high quality prints...you will want to have around 300 pixels per inch. So for an 8x10, you will want to your image to be 2400 pixels by 3000 pixels.

cheers thanks for that i can now work out what the ppi is for each print required :thumbup:

72 dpi is what a computer monitor will show the images at (usually between 69 and 72Dots Per Inch). Although , as the printer dots are much smaller that the monitor dots, you will need to print at a much higher DPI. the image will therefore look bigger on the screen than on the paper. Your image manipulation software should allow you to "Resize" the image. You will probably open a file on your computer and find that it is much bigger than the screen. you can resize to get a print size (A4, A5, 6" X 4", 8" X 10") at a deffinition (300 DPI) You will need to print out at about 300 DPI to get good definition. (you mention 9MB. Is the size of the file when opened in the manipulation software?) the camera will have a certain amount of Mega Pixels which will be an indication of the total definition that you can record.
If all these numbers are confusing then join the club. But it will get easier as you get used to it all.

Big Mike said:
DPI is a printer setting.

PPI is pixels per inch...which controls how the image will look at a computer screen. As an experiment...change the PPI setting (in photoshop, for example) but don't re-sample it. You can change it to 1000 PPI...or to 2 PPI...it doesn't change the actual image.

The important number to pay attention to, is the actual size of the image...in pixels.

Now when you want to print...
For high quality prints...you will want to have around 300 pixels per inch. So for an 8x10, you will want to your image to be 2400 pixels by 3000 pixels.

that is what i thought...this semester has burned me out!!! glad its over now though!!!!

If you have any more questions you can look at this thread...
:lol:thread:wink:
I had this stuggle too. I think that everyone here on this site at one time or other had a problem with the exception of maybe *cough, cough* Big Mike or La Photo...

*runs away before they can figure that I'm trying to bribe them...*

Most reactions

New Topics

Back