300D

CMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As you might know, depending on which threads you've read, I'm looking to add a camera to my roster this summer. I'm not really sure how much money I'll have; but I know it'll be enough.

I've been seeing some very attractive offers on slightly used 300D's lately, so I was wondering, how much of a step back would that be, if any at all, from the 400D I've been using? Besides the obvious 6 vs. 10 MP's. I could budget more for lenses if I got this camera as opposed to others, so I'm curious to get an honest opinion from all you 300D users. :)

I'm not a 300D user...but I like to hear myself type....so here it is :D

It's a decent camera, capable of some good images...but the 400D is a much better camera. It's got more features and much newer technology. The image quality is better on the 400D, especially when talking about noise. The 300D take about 2 whole seconds to start up. That would be a pain in the butt after using the 400D.

If you got it for a really good price...I wouldn't blame you. It's still much better than a p&s digi-cam and it can take the same lenses....but I'd be more tempted to look for a good price on a Rebel XT (350D).

One redeeming feature of the 300D (no thanks to Canon) is that you can install a hacked firmware that will 'unlock' a few features...and make it similar to the 10D camera.

Big Mike

how does one do the following?
"One redeeming feature of the 300D (no thanks to Canon) is that you can install a hacked firmware that will 'unlock' a few features...and make it similar to the 10D camera."

if I get this camera I would like to know more about unlocking features and do you know what features ?

I was a 300D owner for 2 years and as a beginner it was an awesome camera. I preferred it over the 350 or the 400 simply because of it's build. The 350 and 400 both seem cheap & gimicky when you actually hold them in your hand.

I recently parted ways with my 300D in order to upgrade to a 30D. I felt after two years I was ready to try some more advanced things. Mirror Lockup alone has made a big difference to me.

I would say go for the 300D. You can get it at a good price right now and if you decide Photography is not your thing you still have a good everyday camera.

I'm thinking of getting a 10d as a starter dslr.
First are there any firmware hacks or upgrades for the 10d?
And what are the general opinions of the 10d as a starter?

uh... its rusisans-hackers!!

I'm thinking of getting a 10d as a starter dslr.
First are there any firmware hacks or upgrades for the 10d?
And what are the general opinions of the 10d as a starter
There are no hacks for the 10D...none that I've ever heard of anyway. The only reason there was a hack for the 300D is that Canon wanted to save money by making the 300D and the 10D...from the same guts. So rather than adding things to make the 10D better...they just disabled things to make the 300D worse. I think they learned their lesson and they don't do that anymore...not that I know anyway.

While the 10D is/was a good camera...I would suggest a different one. The 10D is the one lower/mid level Canon DSLR that does not work with EF-S lenses...which means that you would have a hard time getting a wide angle lens at a good price. Look for a 20D or Rebel XT instead.

Most reactions

Back