300mm + for DX Nikon

bcarlson87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for a lens to use with my Nikon 7200 that has at least a 300mm, more the better. Looking for something reasonably price (under a $1000 would be nice). Looking for something that will take sharp photos.

Please help!

I have a Nikon 5100 and 7200

Looking for a lens to use with my Nikon 7200 that has at least a 300mm, more the better. Looking for something reasonably price (under a $1000 would be nice). Looking for something that will take sharp photos.

Please help!

What do you want to use it for? Daylight? Low light?

Could get a Nikon 300mm f/4 af-s for $500-700

Or a tamron 150-600 for about the same.

The Nikon is sharper and faster but it’s only a 300mm prime. The tamron is twice as long and is a zoom, but isn’t quite as sharp and is way slower.

What are you shooting and in what conditions?
You need to be more specific than saying just "sharp photos."
  • For some applications a 70-300 would be better than a 300 prime.
  • For other applications the 150-600 would be better than a 300 prime.
  • If you need FAST glass, then the 300 f/4 wins.
  • How much magnification do you need? LONG lenses can get EXPENSIVE.
    • I have an 800mm for when my 500mm is not long enough on my DX body. But to be affordable, both are manual focus, fixed aperture lenses. I have no problem focusing the 500 and getting a sharp image, sharp enough to clearly see the person's eye.

I use a sigma 150-600 c with a d7200 regularly and really like it

I shot a mix of Sport action shots and nature/wildlife Stills

I shot a mix of Sport action shots and nature/wildlife Stills

Still not enough info.
Come on, don't make it like pulling teeth.
The more specific your details/requirements the better our response.
Vague info = vague or not applicable responses.

What sports, from what vantage point, and lighting condition (day/night-under floods/indoor)?
  • Indoor basketball/volleyball requires a different lens from night football/soccer which requires a different lens from day football/soccer.
  • Shooting on the sidelines requires a different lens than shooting from the bleachers.
What do you mean by nature/wildlife?
What animals at what distance?

While I can not directly help, I have a D7100 and shoot a lot with the Nikon 70-300 VR and Tamron 150-600 G1.

Like others have said it really depends on what you are going for. I did shoot a local basketball game with the 70-300mm, but I ended up using flash since it is not a fast enough lens. On the other hand I use it a ton for outdoor activities.

If you want to take a look at my pics, you can get an idea of what those 2 lenses can do on a similar body.

Please help!

I have a NIKKOR 300 AF-D f4 which I love, also fell back it love with a SIGMA APO AF f5.6 ... you could buy both in very nice condition and have change from a grand, but to be honest I would opt for the NIKKOR 200-500 f5.6 VR for a little more.

I just posted this:

JzPWBr.jpg

in another thread, shot with a SIGMA 400 f5.6 APO AF.

For $1K, with a little patience on eBay you could pick up the two listed above in VG serviceable if not mint condition.

I have NIKKOR lenses that are well over 50 years old and have never had an issue with any of them. The SIGMA's don't have as good a rep as a NIKKOR but with good care mine has lasted +/- 20 years.

Please help!

LWW,
Very cool shot.
Always liked catching the ball in mid-air between the pitcher and batter.

What kind of screen were you shooting through/had to deal with?
I see what seems to be very faint indications of a screen.

LWW,
Very cool shot.
Always liked catching the ball in mid-air between the pitcher and batter.

What kind of screen were you shooting through/had to deal with?
I see what seems to be very faint indications of a screen.

It was the regular foul screen, I was about 5 rows behind the netting.

Without any details other than "I shot a mix of Sport action shots and nature/wildlife Stills", here's what I recommend that is at least (or includes) 300mm.

Nikon 300mm f/4 prime
Tamron or Nikon 70-300mm (VR or VC model)
Tamron 100-400mm f/4.5-6.3 Di VC
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS
Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 ED VR

Most reactions

Back