ChickenFriedRyce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay,

I have decided to switch to Canon from Sony. Not that I have been unhappy with Sony, it's just some problems I had with the camera being purchased overseas and then some upgrading problems and what not. I'm selling my camera and lenses to help with my savings.

I have been looking at the 30D lately and it seems like a steal for $699USD new. I did go to try it out at the store (Wolf Camera *shudders*) and it feels very good and solid in my hands. (I also like the fact of a warranty with it, but I'm not going through explaining why.) While I was there, she also pulled out the 40D to let me try it out and it looked like an improvement over the 30D (not that the 30D is a bad camera anyway). I did not like one thing however, that the shutter release feels very flat when you're resting your fingers on it.

I am not planning on purchasing the kit lens, instead a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and an EF 50mm f/1.4. (I'm not worried about range right now as I'm focusing on portrait work.)

The 40D has 10 megapixels vs. 8 megapixels from the 30D. It also has weather sealing (not sure if I'll need it....), slightly faster FPS (not that big of a deal), and live-view (I actually liked it on the 40D).

I have been saving but I just want your opinions. The price difference between the two = $300 a.k.a a new lens. I just don't know yet.

Does anyone have any help?

The 40D also has improved AF, much better dynamic range, less noise at high ISO, and better colors, in my experience.

I've used the 20D, 30D, and 40D. I own both the 20D and 40D right now but will probably end up selling the 20D and picking up the 5DMkII by early next year.

If I was looking at this as a long term investment, I'd pick up the 40D. Postpone the 50/1.4 purchase for a few months since the 50 coverage is already there with the Tamron anyway. The 1.4-2.8 aperture range is nice for low light but the DoF is so small at those apertures, you have to REALLY watch your compositions and focus points. If $$ is a major factor, go with the 30D.

And consider the 85/1.8 instead of the 50/1.4. Bargain, almost L-like portrait lens with good bokeh for $20 more than the 50/1.4. ;)

Okay,

I have decided to switch to Canon from Sony. Not that I have been unhappy with Sony, it's just some problems I had with the camera being purchased overseas and then some upgrading problems and what not. I'm selling my camera and lenses to help with my savings.

I have been looking at the 30D lately and it seems like a steal for $699USD new. I did go to try it out at the store (Wolf Camera *shudders*) and it feels very good and solid in my hands. (I also like the fact of a warranty with it, but I'm not going through explaining why.) While I was there, she also pulled out the 40D to let me try it out and it looked like an improvement over the 30D (not that the 30D is a bad camera anyway). I did not like one thing however, that the shutter release feels very flat when you're resting your fingers on it.

I am not planning on purchasing the kit lens, instead a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and an EF 50mm f/1.4. (I'm not worried about range right now as I'm focusing on portrait work.)

The 40D has 10 megapixels vs. 8 megapixels from the 30D. It also has weather sealing (not sure if I'll need it....), slightly faster FPS (not that big of a deal), and live-view (I actually liked it on the 40D).

I have been saving but I just want your opinions. The price difference between the two = $300 a.k.a a new lens. I just don't know yet.

Does anyone have any help?

FYI. I own a 40D not weather sealed.

yeah ive heard from some people that the 40D IS weather sealed but ive never been sure because thats not ever listed under the specs. And also i was under the impression that its only the 1DXXX line of professional cameras that are weather sealed...

also chickenfriedryce, with the new 50D coming it might be worth looking at that camera as it has a few lovely improvements on the 40D. and with the 50D on the way it means if you hhold out for a few months you'll be getting very attractive deals on the 40D.

Aghhhh the 50D looks really nice but it should of been named a 40D Mark II, same body, just a few more features. I don't think I'll ever be able to afford the 50D. And I've read on DPreview that the 40D is only weather sealed at the battery and CompactFlash compartments, so it doesn't seem viable to purchase it just for that reason.

I don't really think I'll notice the differences of the 40D to the 30D as I'm moving up from an entry level camera. The AF and ISO performance are bound to be better anyway.

I guess I'll save up as much as I can for the 30D. I'll be purchasing it late next month around my birthday, and if they aren't selling the 30D anymore, I'll hope that they've discounted the 40D much more. And I'll postpone the 50mm for awhile, but I'll still want it because my Sony version was such a joy to use. But I totally will look into the 85mm, as I've heard much about it also.

If anything, the 40D could be considered a 30DMkII rather than the 50D. The 50D's sensor technology and processor upgrades are a pretty big jump compared to earlier upgrades.

If anything, the 40D could be considered a 30DMkII rather than the 50D. The 50D's sensor technology and processor upgrades are a pretty big jump compared to earlier upgrades.
I respectfully disagree. The 30D, should have been called the 20D mkII...it has the same sensor & processor as the 20D, the only improvements being minor stuff like a bigger screen & spot metering etc. The 40D has a newer sensor, a newer processor, a better AF system etc. Big difference between the 20D/30D and the 40D.
The 50D was released rather quickly after the 40D and has an even newer sensor and processor.

As far as weather sealing, the 40D & 50D aren't sealed up like the pro bodies, but they do have some seals, which make them more resistant to water/dirt getting in.

If you think that you will be perfectly happy with a 30D, then go for it. Personally I'd go for the 40D or even the 50D.

I respectfully disagree. The 30D, should have been called the 20D mkII...it has the same sensor & processor as the 20D, the only improvements being minor stuff like a bigger screen & spot metering etc. The 40D has a newer sensor, a newer processor, a better AF system etc. Big difference between the 20D/30D and the 40D.
The 50D was released rather quickly after the 40D and has an even newer sensor and processor.

As far as weather sealing, the 40D & 50D aren't sealed up like the pro bodies, but they do have some seals, which make them more resistant to water/dirt getting in.

If you think that you will be perfectly happy with a 30D, then go for it. Personally I'd go for the 40D or even the 50D.

I have both the 20D and 40D. The 40D, while a nice upgrade, isn't really significant in its technology over the 20/30D. The MP increase was 25%, the processor improvements were nice and the ISO expansion and lower noise worked out well.

But overall, it's a minor upgrade compared to the jump from the 40D to the 50D. The 50D's technology is significantly improved. ISO ranges are huge compared to the 40D. There is a 50% increase in pixel density over the 40D. The processor improvements are significant as well.

I think the 40D was a "patch" to keep those of us waiting for a new APS-C upgrade happy. The 50D was the big change. Canon engineers actually wanted to use the 50D technology for the 5DMkII, according to some articles. Instead, they were pushed for pure MP increases, which required them to basically hamstring the 1DsMkIII sensor.

I have both the 20D and 40D. The 40D, while a nice upgrade, isn't really significant in its technology over the 20/30D. The MP increase was 25%, the processor improvements were nice and the ISO expansion and lower noise worked out well.
I still think it was pretty significant...especially when you consider that the 30D was basically the same as the 20D...which came out in the summer of 2004. So when the 40D came out in 2007, it was replacing 3 year old technology. At that point, a new processor (Digic III vs the Digic II) was significant, the new AF and faster fps were also quite significant. After the utter disappointment of the 30D 'face-lift' upgrade, the 40D was a great addition to the line up. I figured that it would be at least 18 months before we saw the 50D...maybe longer. So I was quite surprised to see the 50D so soon...and with an updated processor. I accredit that to the increased pressure in the market place, especially from Nikon.

I think the 40D was a "patch" to keep those of us waiting for a new APS-C upgrade happy. The 50D was the big change.
Looking back, it certainly does look that way...although, I still think that the Canon executives would have liked to hold back the 50D for a while longer than they did.

Canon engineers actually wanted to use the 50D technology for the 5DMkII, according to some articles. Instead, they were pushed for pure MP increases, which required them to basically hamstring the 1DsMkIII sensor.
I've heard that too. Maybe it's time to do some house cleaning at Canon. I heard that Nikon completely removed an entire level of it's business structure and cleared out some 'dead wood'...they have been on the upswing ever since.

With the 50D just coming out and a 3" LCD screen on the 40D I think you'll get more bang for your buck with a 40D over the 30D.

Most reactions

Back