3200 Speed Question

plan9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First Post! this forum looks like it's very helpful and I've read lots of enjoyable content on here.

anyway,

I am currently shooting an 'old film noir re-creation' project, and am running into shooting problems. I am shooting at night in a loading dock/alley setting with the only light coming from the city and a lone flood light. Once I had my actors and spot all together, the shots looked theoretically great, but my mistake was thinking I could get away with shooting it all on 200spd film. (I love low speed film) with exposure times running at around 5-6 seconds with my actors staying still. Needless to say just about none of them came out.

here are some example shots that are similar in lighting and style

killshadow.JPG

v-nun1.jpg

So I've decided to use the polar opposite and see what happens with a roll of t-max 3200. I've never shot such high speed film before, and given the circumstances do any of you have recommendations or tips on how to make this next roll work in my favor? thanks!

I think it will work in your favour both in terms of shutter speed in those lighting conditions and for the look you want.

Dave

It should work very well and make the shoot go much easier. Your models will thank you! :)

The grain of the film will only enhance the film noir feel of this shoot.

You could always shoot 400 speed film and push to 1600 - you'll still get the increase in speed, and grain might be reduced (if that's even an issue, I mention this only because of your comment up there about preferring slower films).

Good luck with it. I hope to see the outcome of the next shoot!

the true speed of that film is between 1000 and 1400. you'll get ok results shooting it at 3200, though.

It's not a question of "true speed." Look at the box. It says EI 3200...not ISO/ASA 3200. They're completely different things.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back