35 MM Photography Questions

DTB58

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I hope this is the right forum to put this topic in. Please feel free to move it if need be. I am going to use this topic for two reasons:

1) I am wondering about 35 mm photography today. Is there still a place for it? If so, how is it usually used today?

2) The reason for #1 above is because when my Dad died a few years ago; he left me some stuff in a box, and a camera set was one of the items. It is a Konica camera, with some pretty fancy-looking lenses. I would really like to find out more about this equipment, as I don't even know what half of it is, or how to use it.

Guess I am wondering how feasible it would be to start using this stuff, and what kinds of things I could use it best for. But first I need to know what I have got, etc.

I will post a few pictures I guess, first, and we can take it from there. I know this stuff has got to be around 20 years old, but some of the lenses seem pretty impressive to an amateur like me. Seems like they might still be quite usable?

I would really appreciate any input on this stuff. I will make a series of short posts, with each new item. :)

$cam1.JPG$cam2.JPG

The shutter does not work on this camera; so I am wondering about where to get it fixed, (Alberta Canada), or where to buy another, used one, that would fit all the lenses, which I will detail a few of below.

Here is one lense. I have no idea yet, what kind it is, or what I can do with it. I got lots of learning to do, but that's why I am here. :)

$cam3.JPG$cam4.JPG$cam5.JPG

What kind of lense is this, and what would it be good for?

I think this would be some kind of wide angle or macro lense?

$cam6.JPG$cam7.JPG

Film photography still has it's place. There are many of us that shoot film ... and enjoy developing/printing it ourselves.

Shutter does not work ? Are you using good batteries ?
The cost of repair for cameras generally are over the cost of replacing it.

The Tamron lens is a wide angle zoom. I am not sure about the IQ of this lens.
Since it is an Adaptall type it can be used on many other types of cameras just by changing the mount adapter.
adaptall-2.org

Here is one more shot of the last pics I posted above.

$cam9.JPG$cam12.JPG

If anyone can offer opinions on all this stuff I have posted, and let me know if you think it is usable today; I would appreciate it.

Film photography still has it's place. There are many of us that shoot film ... and enjoy developing/printing it ourselves.

Since it is an Adaptall type it can be used on many other types of cameras just by changing the mount adapter.
adaptall-2.org
I will have to check on the batteries again, but I am interested in the idea of using some kind of adapter for these lenses on another camera. Do you mean it would be possible to use these lenses on a digital camera, with the right adapter? That would be a great idea to me!

Tamron 28-50mm = wide angle zoom
Tamron 500mm f/8 = long focal length mirror lens
Tamron 80(?)-210mm = telephoto zoom

These are manual focus lenses ... so some newer digital cameras are not compatible with them.

adaptall-2.org

BTW; thanks for that web site link! I had no idea such places existed! I know where I'll be spending my next pay check! lol

Thankyou. Any ideas on how to find one that is compatible?

Tamron 28-50mm = wide angle zoom
Tamron 500mm f/8 = long focal length mirror lens
Tamron 80(?)-210mm = telephoto zoom

These are manual focus lenses ... so some newer digital cameras are not compatible with them.

Your Tamron lenses have the AdaptAll2 mount. The mount portion is removable and different mounts for a number of different cameras can be attached - Konica, Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, Yashica, etc. You will have to buy the appropriate AdaptAll2 mount for the camera you choose. They probably have the Konica version on them now (or nothing). The original Tamron-made mounts are discontinued but plenty of them are still available on eBay and cuirrently manufactured copies of the mount are also available. These lenses can be used on both film and digital SLRs with the appropriate mount. They are also very well made and high quality lenses.

Thankyou; I am glad to hear that about those lenses. I am thinking that I will try to find a digital type camera for which I can get appropriate mounts for. But where to start with that I have no clue, YET. :)

Your Tamron lenses have the AdaptAll2 mount. The mount portion is removable and different mounts for a number of different cameras can be attached - Konica, Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, Yashica, etc. You will have to buy the appropriate AdaptAll2 mount for the camera you choose. They probably have the Konica version on them now (or nothing). The original Tamron-made mounts are discontinued but plenty of them are still available on eBay and cuirrently manufactured copies of the mount are also available. These lenses can be used on both film and digital SLRs with the appropriate mount. They are also very well made and high quality lenses.

I like Konicas and have a couple of them, but yours is a newer model than mine. I think yours needs a battery to even see if it works (I use mostly older mechanical cameras that only need a battery to operate the meter). edit - Konica had two different lens mounts, AR and the other one might be called F mount - so you might need to figure out which yours is.

Looks like you've got a nice set of lenses; I had a Tamron that had one run-in too many with concrete at hockey rinks and one day I went to focus and felt something give and everything went out of focus - but I got a lot of nice photos with it for a lot of years.

This website by Mike Butkus has copies of manuals for old cameras - he doesn't charge for them but users can make a contribution if they'd like. Konica FS-1 user manual, instruction manual .

I've run across this site by Weber and I think he specializes in Konica repair but I've only seen the site, I don't know anything about his reputation. (And old cameras aren't worth a lot of money, but sometimes people want to have them repaired to be able to use them again - it's probably a matter of if it's worth it to you to have it repaired). greg weber camera specializing in konica and konishiroku cameras and lenses and konica camera repairs and sales including konica slr cameras konica rangefinders koni omega koni rapid rapid omega autoreflex konica lenses hexanon hexar konica camera ac .

I know of places that develop film and most have the option to have it scanned so you can go digital with your film photos easily enough. Except I don't know if places in the US are an option for you or not. Does Henry's process film? I've bought from them but never looked into other services they might have available, and they're the only one in Canada I'm familiar with offhand.

(And jeez could that link show up any longer?? maybe it could use a few more words. LOL)

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the manual for the FS-1. lol; I cant even figure out how to open up the little door for where the batteries go, or the cover for where the 35 mm film would go. Boy this is gonna take me a while to figure. I think it's safe to say that the lenses I have are pretty good; so what I am going to do is to find a digital camera that I can get adapters for with these lenses. I am hoping to find a camera for around $700.00 to start, so I have no idea how to figure that yet; but figure it I will.

I will also get this old camera fixed; just because it used to belong to my Dad, and I guess I can keep these current adapters I have for when I want to use the 35mm one. I used to fiddle around in a dark room when I was in high school and I can see me resurrecting that again at some point. But for now, I will start looking for a digital camera that I can get adapters for. Any ideas anyone?

I like Konicas and have a couple of them, but yours is a newer model than mine. I think yours needs a battery to even see if it works (I use mostly older mechanical cameras that only need a battery to operate the meter). edit - Konica had two different lens mounts, AR and the other one might be called F mount - so you might need to figure out which yours is.

Looks like you've got a nice set of lenses; I had a Tamron that had one run-in too many with concrete at hockey rinks and one day I went to focus and felt something give and everything went out of focus - but I got a lot of nice photos with it for a lot of years.

This website by Mike Butkus has copies of manuals for old cameras - he doesn't charge for them but users can make a contribution if they'd like. Konica FS-1 user manual, instruction manual .

I've run across this site by Weber and I think he specializes in Konica repair but I've only seen the site, I don't know anything about his reputation. (And old cameras aren't worth a lot of money, but sometimes people want to have them repaired to be able to use them again - it's probably a matter of if it's worth it to you to have it repaired). greg weber camera specializing in konica and konishiroku cameras and lenses and konica camera repairs and sales including konica slr cameras konica rangefinders koni omega koni rapid rapid omega autoreflex konica lenses hexanon hexar konica camera ac .

I know of places that develop film and most have the option to have it scanned so you can go digital with your film photos easily enough. Except I don't know if places in the US are an option for you or not. Does Henry's process film? I've bought from them but never looked into other services they might have available, and they're the only one in Canada I'm familiar with offhand.

(And jeez could that link show up any longer?? maybe it could use a few more words. LOL)

Just a little FYI note for anyone following this topic; or who happens to come across it. Some progress has been made, and I figured how to change the old batteries out of the above camera in the OP. The battery receptacle sure needed cleaning. Lots of corrosion. :) Everything seems to work - except that the shutter, when it closes after button is pressed, does not seem to open again. Also; there are some kind of dust specks that I see when I look through viewfinder, and I even tried without any lenses and could still see those spots. Oh well, I will take it in somewhere if need be and get it fixed, but I do need to figure out what kind of digital camera/adaptors to get for these lenses. I will follow up on any and all ideas. Thanks so much all!

Most reactions

Back