$350 for a Digital Camera, what should I get?

minew_m

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted some advice on getting a new digital camera. I do have a digital right now (Olympus Camedia D-390) but I need something better. Any advice what to get? I'm planning to buy one on Ebay (that's where I've seen digitals go for the cheapest). PLMK your input and thanks!

I'm afraid that with that budget you cannot afford a digital SLR. Not even with twice the budget! So this puts you in the situation of having to just upgrade what you have...

Let me begin by saying that I don't shot digital. So... what am I doing giving advices here!!!??? Well, the reason is that I've been doing some research lately to buy a digital myself (just as company to the film, not to substitute it!!), so I've gone to quite a lot of literature on the possibilities available and...

...and I should be able to have an opinion, after all!

I would encourage you to go for a "prosumer" digital. You already have a Point&Shot, and if you're planning to keep it, it would be silly to have a new one that will offer you practically tha same, wouldn't be?

These "prosumer" give you the same possibilities as the one you have, but they also will let you decide a lot of things, almost as with a DSLR. It's a more affordable way to have the decisions in your fingers while using a digital.

Someone will probably tell you that you should save a little longer and go for a DSLR. Mmmm, that probably would be a good advice.

Take a look at this discussion for some thoughts:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20690

$350 for a Digital Camera, what should I get?

Another $650 to add to that. If you already have a cheap digital, I dont' see a real point in buying another cheap digital, which is what $350 will get you. Either save up for a DSLR, (keep in mind you can buy used ones for $800 or less) or buy a film slr. I don't see a point in going prosumer, if you are serious about photography. DSLRs are coming down in price. I would never pay $700-800 for a prosumer digital with a fixed lens, when for $100 more I can buy into a DSLR system.

Matt makes an excellent point, especially from an investment strategy. If, however, that $350 is burning a hole in you pocket :D , you may want to take a look at the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007KQWE6/ref=wl_it_dp/104-3587973-9955111?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I3T2FYM8HYVROC&v=glance&colid=ZTRZHECFS5DD]Nikon Coolpix 7600[/ame] which is a 7MP camera that can be found for that range.

Digital Matt said:
I don't see a point in going prosumer, if you are serious about photography. DSLRs are coming down in price. I would never pay $700-800 for a prosumer digital with a fixed lens, when for $100 more I can buy into a DSLR system.

Totally agree! But let us not forget that he's talking about $350. I mean, sometimes it is not that you don't have $1000 to spend, but rather that you are not willing to spend that money in a camera, even if you had it.
That's why I still suggest prosumer: you can get one for even less that $200! (second hand, of course -and, of course, would never pay more than $300 in a prosumer, let alone $700!!). And it will take you further further into the fun of photography than a P&S as the one minew_n already has.

But, again, it is not worthy to spend that money in a second P&S, minew_n. Consider whether you are willing to go for a more expensive equipment, be satisfied with a prosumer or just save the money and buy yourself any other thig.

But, of course, my recommendation will always be: expend only half your budget and get yourself a really good (second hand) film 35mm. Then, save the other half of the budget for film and development!

panocho said:
But, of course, my recommendation will always be: expend only half your budget and get yourself a really good (second hand) film 35mm. Then, save the other half of the budget for film and development!

The thing is I already have a great 35mm SLR (Minolta Maxxum 3000i w/ 4 quality lenses, 2x teleconverter, many filters, etc.). 35mm is getting to expensive for me, as I don't have enough room in my appartment for a darkroom and have to have my film developed by someone else. I'm really just looking to get a digital for the rest of my college years and a few years after that as well. Just basically until I get settled down into a house so I have room for a darkroom.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll probably just end up saving my money to get a DSLR. I've seen a few on ebay that I am keeping an eye one.

That's surely a wise decision. I'm not into digital, but if I were, DSLR would definitely be the way to go for me.
Good luck at ebay!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back