35mm cinema

dennyr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How big can you enlarge a 35mm neg before it starts to look "bad" to you.? .....8x10, 11x14, 12x20.?
What allows projection of a 35mm neg onto a giant screen.?
Is it simply the viewing distance of the audience from the screen, or is there more to it than that.?
That should be projection of a Positive, not Negative.
Thank You

Last edited:
Lots of variables. What are you seeking to do?
I am not seeking to do anything...maybe i misunderstand your question.?
I am wondering about the projection of 35mm film.
I should have said Positive and not Negative.

Lots of variables. What are you seeking to do?
I am not seeking to do anything...maybe i misunderstand your question.?
I am wondering about the projection of 35mm film.
I should have said Positive and not Negative.

If you don't want to do anything with the pictures, then is this just a hypothetical question that you have? Or do you have a specific project that you are working on?

And when you say "positive not negative" - does this mean you want to project slide film? Or are you talking about a print? Why is it being projected? How big is the room?

These are just some of the variable that Martin may have been referring to, which is why he was trying to get more details about your purpose in order to give a more specific answer.

How big can you enlarge a 35mm neg before it starts to look "bad" to you.? .....8x10, 11x14, 12x20.?

8x10 is the usual 35mm print size limit for me.

What allows projection of a 35mm neg onto a giant screen.?

Lots of light.

If your question is: Why doesn't 35mm movie film have lousy image quality when projected on a big screen? Then, yes, viewing distance is part of the reason but mainly it's because you're not seeing a single image. You're seeing 24 images per second so the random flaws of each frame aren't there long enough for you to see them. But, If you freeze on one frame, it does look much worse.

Last edited:
Never mind.......a member sent me a PM.
Thanks

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back