35mm color and B&W film recommendations?

Sometimes too much advice is more damaging then too little. We are talking to film newbe . He should rather probe around what is available to him starting from some basic point and progress as his appetit for shooting film grows. He should gain his own experience rather, then listen to ours successes and pitfalls. We should discuss with him problems as he progresses in experience rather, then shout warnings beforehand. In film photography one thing is for sure, that if I can't do it it does not mean that you can't and vice versa.

I agree to a point, but often a film newbie will start out with crappy film and get frustrated and quit shooting film. That can be avoided by advice being given here.

and, I also agree with some of the others that 'real' b&w film IS NOT hard to scan..

Sometimes too much advice is more damaging then too little. We are talking to film newbe . He should rather probe around what is available to him starting from some basic point and progress as his appetit for shooting film grows. He should gain his own experience rather, then listen to ours successes and pitfalls. We should discuss with him problems as he progresses in experience rather, then shout warnings beforehand. In film photography one thing is for sure, that if I can't do it it does not mean that you can't and vice versa.

I am not seeing the bad advice here, most of the film being suggested is rather forgiving stuff. I know that T Max and Tri X Pan are both very forgiving films to work with, Same for HP 5. Lord knows that Tri X pan over the years probably did more to help than hurt me when I failed to do my part choosing the right exposure on my old F2.

Even the Ektar 100 is not horribly unforgiving, its not like I told him to go out and start blasting away with Kodachrome 25 or Ektachrome 25. Most of the films suggested are relatively amateur friendly for new film shooters.

One of the ways we gain experience is to ask those who have had prior experience before us and build on it and derive on our experiences from there.

So is the fujifilm film 200 that I got at Walmart decent film?

a friend of mine shoots it IIRC as thats where he gets most of his film. I will ask him what he thinks of it but I think its pretty forgiving stuff .

It is fine, shoot a roll and see if you like it........

For colour + scanning: Fuji Velvia 100F .. I got the best results from that one.

B&W:
- the modern B&W films like Ilford Delta 100 seem to perform a bit better on a scanner when it comes to reduce grain.
- Ilford FP4+ and HP5+ show very pronounced grain when scanned from 35mm negatives, sometimes a bit too much for my taste. for larger formats it scans very nicely.

... my (subjective) experience with scanners and film.

I am not seeing the bad advice here,
I am not saying advice is bad, but too plentiful. Everyone is "advertising" personal experience, at the end OP still was not sure about his Fuji 200. And he should shoot what he has on hand and take it to the nearest lab and come back with the results to the forum.

I am not seeing the bad advice here,
I am not saying advice is bad, but too plentiful. Everyone is "advertising" personal experience, at the end OP still was not sure about his Fuji 200. And he should shoot what he has on hand and take it to the nearest lab and come back with the results to the forum.
Read the OP's first post - All of it.

He didn't JUST ask about the Fuji 200. He asked for recommendations from the forum members for color and B&W films. Now, what should we offer him as a response? Films we haven't tried, or films we've tried and like?

Lets just say I would like to know what films you tried that you liked and why. And also if anyone has input on regular films you find at walmart or target, such as the ones I mentioned.

I'd also like to know what to stay away from.

My 2 favorite color films are Kodak Ektar 100 and Portra 160 or 400. They really "wow" me.... I've tried pretty much every color negative and slide film I can get my hands on and keep wishing I just stayed with these 2.

But, in the end it really boils down to preference. Film isn't really too expensive to experiment with yet... Buy several rolls and test them out. Also do some searches on sites like Flickr... You'll get a good idea of what each film has to offer.

He didn't JUST ask about the Fuji 200. He asked for recommendations from the forum members for color and B&W films. Now, what should we offer him as a response? Films we haven't tried, or films we've tried and like?
Perhaps you're right, I was just thinking in terms what our new colleague can do right, where he is. Every make of film was shot by somebody, every film has proponents as every film has a potential to deliver good results, but not every film is a good starter. I could to recommend my most liked film, but I won't as this film is out of practical reach of most of my fellows fotogs, not to mention a newbe. So I did, what gryffinwings ask for; my local walmart does not carry any classic b&w film anymore, only stuff for C-41 process. So why not, Kodak BW400CN is a top shelf stuff, perfect to start adventure in b&w photography for someone without own capacity to develop films.

Perhaps you're right, I was just thinking in terms what our new colleague can do right, where he is. Every make of film was shot by somebody, every film has proponents as every film has a potential to deliver good results, but not every film is a good starter. I could to recommend my most liked film, but I won't as this film is out of practical reach of most of my fellows fotogs, not to mention a newbe. So I did, what gryffinwings ask for; my local walmart does not carry any classic b&w film anymore, only stuff for C-41 process. So why not, Kodak BW400CN is a top shelf stuff, perfect to start adventure in b&w photography for someone without own capacity to develop films.
I'm sure the OP appreciates your opinion and input, along with everyone else's who's given theirs.

Well, I hope so. I also hope, that one day he will develop films by himself, as this is such an experience. For me every time I open the tank.

Actually I'd love to be able to get into developing my own film, I just don't have the time or space to do it, mainly since I'm in the navy. That's why I'm just going to work with photography shops that do it.

Most reactions

Back