35mm f/1.8G FX review

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After much hemming and hawing, I sold off my old AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G to my girlfriend and bought a 35mm f/1.8G FX
She needed the zoom more than I did. The New 24-70mm f/2.8E VR was out of her budget. I told her I would sell the lens to her if she sold an image taken with that lens. May 2017 | Gaitpost
She did.

First impressions: it's light and plasticky. It's really small (I had the 105mm f/1.4 on the camera at the time).

Image quality: Pretty darn good. I can close focus...not quite macro but enough to photograph the watch I am wearing (which I do quite often).

I feel like I lack a fast really wide angle lens now but that`s for my hobby photos (dancing) rather than what I am paid to do.

Samples to come soon.

Own both the 24-70mm 2.8G and the 35mm 1.8G FX model.
Two awesome lenses, the 35mm is redicolously sharp even at f1.8 but I feel always the pull to my 24-70mm 2.8G, its just so versatile and easy to use and it too is so sharp that the extra sharpness of the 35mm isn't a huge deal.
You are a good man for selling your lens to your GF, I wouldn't have been able to do it, just love that lens too much, I probably would have gone and bought her a nicely used Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC

It's actually my least used lens.
It's very good but I'm a portrait photographer. She's promised to lend it to me when she's in town. She landed a magazine cover for her photographs at the Saut Hermes au Grand Palais so she needs it more than I do.

I can always borrow a friend's 24-85mm f/3.5-5.6 meanwhile. I was so close to getting the Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4 but I scored a great deal on the Nikkor.

I never buy any used camera gear. Not worth it for me. Sale of the lens has let me get the 35mm f/1.8 and fund my foray into Micro43rds.

Deciding between EM10 mk2 or the EM5 mk2.

First impressions: it's sharp...very very sharp
DSC_4981.jpg

and at 100%
DSC_4981-2.jpg

at f/2.8

I loved my 35 f/2D when I had it, that lens was amazing. Bad decision to sell it, but if I didn't I don't think it would have led me to the lenses I have now haha.

One of the things I loved about the 35mm primes is the minimal focus distance makes it very versatile! I like the 50mm too but sometimes just doesn't focus close enough for me.

Looks like the 35 1.8G FX is a winner!

watches are my hobby...so it's nice to be able to get a wrist shot

It's very good but I'm a portrait photographer. She's promised to lend it to me when she's in town. She landed a magazine cover for her photographs at the Saut Hermes au Grand Palais so she needs it more than I do.

I can always borrow a friend's 24-85mm f/3.5-5.6 meanwhile. I was so close to getting the Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4 but I scored a great deal on the Nikkor.

I never buy any used camera gear. Not worth it for me. Sale of the lens has let me get the 35mm f/1.8 and fund my foray into Micro43rds.

Hmm, interesting, I just gave up on MFT system, found the image quality just not as good as my D3300 and will not even touch my D750, sold all my Panasonic gear and just ordered a Sony a6300, to each his own of course.

Hmm, interesting, I just gave up on MFT system, found the image quality just not as good as my D3300 and will not even touch my D750, sold all my Panasonic gear and just ordered a Sony a6300, to each his own of course.

I don't pixel peep. When I'm on vacation or shooting for my own amusement, size and lightness matters far more. I typically use an Olympus TG4 for my vacations (if I'm not using my phone ) and it would be nice to have something better.

I don't pixel peep. When I'm on vacation or shooting for my own amusement, size and lightness matters far more. I typically use an Olympus TG4 for my vacations (if I'm not using my phone ) and it would be nice to have something better.

You sir are a far better man then me, I admit I am a total snob when it comes to photography, I bought the Panasonic G7 for video and also for family vacation, after 2 trips I gave up on it, considering it also didn't answer my video needs it was easy to let it go.
Sad because as a system MFT offers a lot of interesting things like small size and very affordable small lenses.
As I said to each his own :)

When I'm on vacation I am on vacation and I don't want to carry heavy gear. I use my cellphone for photos a lot of the time so MFT is a step

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

When I'm on vacation I am on vacation and I don't want to carry heavy gear. I use my cellphone for photos a lot of the time so MFT is a step
Yes it is

I just ordered a Sony a6300 which will replace my Panasonic G7, I might consider it for travel too if it will prove to be powerful enough, its a very small camera, smaller then the G7 that I had and have an APS-C sensor in it.
We shall see

Yes it is

I just ordered a Sony a6300 which will replace my Panasonic G7, I might consider it for travel too if it will prove to be powerful enough, its a very small camera, smaller then the G7 that I had and have an APS-C sensor in it.
We shall see
I have a work budget and a play budget. Seeing as the vacation camera comes out of my play budget, I would prefer to stick to an OMD EM10 Mk II. Getting the Sony would mean I have to forgo a fancy meal and/or a new watch. The A6300 is a nice camera but the A6000 will do the job just fine (hint: vacation).

Wait. SOLD your 24-70mm to your girlfriend? Weird.

Most reactions

Back