35mm f1.8 AF no longer works

schumionbike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took my camera out to take a few photo of the snow, about 15-20 degrees outside, I lost my AF after like 15 minutes, my camera still work fine, but I couldn't AF anymore so I shot everything with manual focus. Did my lens just bit the dust? Anyone experience something similar? I wen out in the cold before and never had problem like this.

I sat my Nikon D300s and 80-200mm F/2.8D outside in 20 degree temps with 30 MPH winds for 6 hours straight to capture this: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...lapse-solstice-eclipse-covers-6ish-hours.html and it was perfectly fine when I brought it in. Albeit freezing and it took about an hour to get to room temperature, everything was and still is fine. I have never tried such a feat with my 35/1.8G, but I have never heard of the lens being permanently damaged by the cold. I guess you could have brought it in the house and let it warm up..then checked the focus again to see if the problem still persists.

Hope everything works out.
Mark

I brought it in and have it sit in the bag in the basement for 2 hours to warm it up and it's still not working. I put on my 55-200mm and that thing work just fine so it's the lens fault. I just got the lens about 50 days ago with like 1000 shots on it if that, any rocommendation as to how to send it to Nikon to repair or just exchange for a different one?

Make sure the autofocus selector switch on the lens is still in the M/A position and that your camera's focus selector is set for S or C focus mode.

It should be under warranty. Take it to a local photo store that carries Nikon and they should be able to send it to Nikon.

Have you tried another AF-S lens on your camera body? Check the electrical contacts and make sure they are clean.

yeah I tried the 55-200mm AF-S, works fine. I have reattached the 35mm but no luck.

It should be under warranty. Take it to a local photo store that carries Nikon and they should be able to send it to Nikon.

Thanks!! I probably will try that once all the snow are clear.

In honor of the lens, took this manual focus :) Yeah, New England took a beating.

165614_864507887191_9024454_47681452_6236777_n.jpg

I guess that's what we get for trusting a tiny motor inside the lens to do our focusing :(. I wonder... 10 years from now, how many AF-S/built-in-motor driven lenses will still be working 100%? I hate how we pay more for plastic lenses with dinky built-in-motors that are bound to fail with age than we do for metal lenses driven by the camera's focus motor. :(

/rant.

yeah, this is the first time I had any problem with any of my AF-s lenses, and this one is the newest one too.

I guess that's what we get for trusting a tiny motor inside the lens to do our focusing :(. I wonder... 10 years from now, how many AF-S/built-in-motor driven lenses will still be working 100%? I hate how we pay more for plastic lenses with dinky built-in-motors that are bound to fail with age than we do for metal lenses driven by the camera's focus motor. :(

/rant.
Canon quit putting focus motors in their camera bodies in 1987 when they introduced the EF-mount (EF = Electro-Focus).

Every Canon lens made since then has had a "dinky, built-in" focus motor in it.

In other words, it's a mature 24 year old technology.

Expect those built-in focus motors to last a lot longer than 10 years.

Most reactions

Back